Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm curious to see how many of you use a basic cut list the first day and what they consist of. When I started framing, we built small, simple homes with all standard size parts. We would just get a count and whack up and that was that.

As we got bigger and more complex frames and drifted away from cutting all the parts the first day. Now, when i start a house i just have a guy or two cut the interior and exterior headers. I do this for two reasons; preparation and lumber usage.

I often don't get to see the plan much more than a day or maybe two before i start the house. Between finishing the current job during the day and trying my best to be a good husband and father at night, there is little time to prep a laundry list of parts.

As some of you know, lumber suppliers can get pretty ornery when you start going beyond what they bid out. The types of homes I've been getting lately have massive amounts of cutoffs from odd wall sizes and shapes. I take those cutoffs and use them then for all the parts contained in that wall. I feel if i were to cut every thing the first day, not only might we lose track of those parts, but then we'll be left with an overly large amount of scrap at the end of the job.

What are your thoughts on how i do it? How do you guys handle cutlists?

·
Registered
4,099 Posts
Headers, sills, trimmers, shoulders, jacks-always had a cut list prepared prior to starting a job. The bigger and more complex the job the more important it was to have it done.

Most efficient/intelligent use of lumber.
Saves time opposed to cutting as you go.
Miter box chop saw with stops can make cutting the same length pieces uber efficient.

However it requires organization and 'naming/marking conventions to keep the parts for an openings together. Not for everybody.

Biggest drawback LOL If you F/U on your measurements you're [email protected]@@ed.

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
You know, all I've ever done is have somebody make the built-up 2x headers and cut some 4x6's for outside walls while I start laying out a couple walls. Everything else is cut as we go. But then I don't have like 4 or 5 guys standing around with their thumbs up their azzes that need something to keep them busy.

Reactions: SAcarpenter

·
Registered
4,099 Posts
But then I don't have like 4 or 5 guys standing around with their thumbs up their azzes that need something to keep them busy.

Small experienced crew or just being a smart arse crotchety old framer? LOL it's hard to tell on the internet.

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
Small experienced crew or just being a smart arse crotchety old framer? LOL it's hard to tell on the internet.
Probly a lot of both there.

·
Registered
4,099 Posts
Kiteman - Fair enough :thumbsup:

One man pre cutting for a day on a four man crew, means you only have 3 pairs of thumbs to keep in the daylight :whistling

Extensive pre cutting is a preference

·
Registered
56 Posts
SAcarpenter said:
I'm curious to see how many of you use a basic cut list the first day and what they consist of. When I started framing, we built small, simple homes with all standard size parts. We would just get a count and whack up and that was that. As we got bigger and more complex frames and drifted away from cutting all the parts the first day. Now, when i start a house i just have a guy or two cut the interior and exterior headers. I do this for two reasons; preparation and lumber usage. I often don't get to see the plan much more than a day or maybe two before i start the house. Between finishing the current job during the day and trying my best to be a good husband and father at night, there is little time to prep a laundry list of parts. As some of you know, lumber suppliers can get pretty ornery when you start going beyond what they bid out. The types of homes I've been getting lately have massive amounts of cutoffs from odd wall sizes and shapes. I take those cutoffs and use them then for all the parts contained in that wall. I feel if i were to cut every thing the first day, not only might we lose track of those parts, but then we'll be left with an overly large amount of scrap at the end of the job. What are your thoughts on how i do it? How do you guys handle cutlists?
our crews do roughly the same. Start with headers, layout the plates and cut as needed.

Also, We end up with crappy lumber at times so our 16 footers become 12's, our 12's become 8's and I got to the lumber yard for the good stuff! The lumber quality is getting worse every day it seems!

·
Registered
4,099 Posts
I feel if i were to cut every thing the first day, not only might we lose track of those parts, but then we'll be left with an overly large amount of scrap at the end of the job.
Most of that waste can be assessed & best use figured out up front - if you feel it's worth the time to minimize scrap.

·
Registered
137 Posts
It seems like the older fellow is always the cut-man. Ya know, the guy who is too grumpy, slow and worn out to pair up with someone. Plus, he's been thru it all, seen it all and knows it all....in his mind. LOL

·
Super Moderator
10,658 Posts
Headers, studs, rafters, and not much else. I think it is pointless on day one of a large frame to get too far ahead of yourself. I think it is equally pointless to worry about scrap on day one. Stack all useable cutoffs in a few closets and use as needed throughout the job. About the only material left on our jobs are the cleats on the roof. If the roofer shows up before we finish, we end up using those too.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Warren said:
Headers, studs, rafters, and not much else. I think it is pointless on day one of a large frame to get too far ahead of yourself. I think it is equally pointless to worry about scrap on day one. Stack all useable cutoffs in a few closets and use as needed throughout the job. About the only material left on our jobs are the cleats on the roof. If the roofer shows up before we finish, we end up using those too.
Pretty much my thoughts exactly

·
Registered
4,099 Posts
I think it is pointless on day one of a large frame to get too far ahead of yourself. I think it is equally pointless to worry about scrap on day one.
Why do you think it's pointless?

·
Registered
3,977 Posts
I've done it just about every way, including optimized plating. I find the more pre-cutting the better, as long as you can keep it organized. You can have one guy cutting cripples, sills, etc. before your crew even starts on the walls.

·
Super Moderator
10,658 Posts
Why do you think it's pointless?
Here's why:

Scrap management takes time. Looking for something to cut a 12" block out of means your not cutting the block from the 2x4 in front of you. At the beginning of a job, there are always many possibilities to use up the scrap somewhere down the road. If you spend the time using all the scraps early, you will end up cutting full stuff later for blocks. That means you wasted time searching when you still end up cutting the longer stock anyway.

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
Here's why:

Scrap management takes time. Looking for something to cut a 12" block out of means your not cutting the block from the 2x4 in front of you. At the beginning of a job, there are always many possibilities to use up the scrap somewhere down the road. If you spend the time using all the scraps early, you will end up cutting full stuff later for blocks. That means you wasted time searching when you still end up cutting the longer stock anyway.
It's like bending over and picking up a nail.

·
Registered
852 Posts
First day if things roll out like they should...
One guy starts the saw, or sets up our chop station.
Garage studs cut first
Headers
Jacks cut and assembled
Window packages
Interior wall plates first floor
As soon as garage studs are cut someone starts fabbing on the road. Once garage is lifted in and sheeted interiors are started on the road.

Our worry about scrap is zero. I don't care. Longer then 16" make a pile and if it's close great. If not grab something and start cutting. It gets used at some point.
We drop all of our interior doors later so we burn up a lot of small 2x4 there. Door plates get cut out and used as door sills so no waste there.

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
What's a door sill?

1 - 20 of 34 Posts