Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Administrator
24,065 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone done it?

I've cut wooden doors, metal-skinned, storm doors and whatnot, but never had occasion to try a fiberglass. Now I have a guy who thinks he wants one for an odd size.

Workable? How are they constructed internally?

·
Registered
6,121 Posts
Normally when I have one that need cut down that is what they recommend to use. I would think it should be fairly do able for you. Think maybe a finer blade to do it.

·
Administrator
24,065 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Oh, yay. I've played the Bing Crosby White Christmas dance before.

I do believe I'll try to talk him out of it.

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
Tinstaafl:

I'd be curious to know how you've cut down a metal skinned door.

Especially how to get the little bend at the top or bottom smooth. Do you take the skin off and use a brake or what?

·
Administrator
24,065 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Score the metal skin with a utility knife, bend it a few times until it snaps off. Then cut the wood core with a circular saw.

Don't worry about that little bend; just deburr the edge. Then install an aftermarket sweep replacement that covers that edge.

I don't really have a good answer for dealing with that edge at the top of a door; those I've done were only cut at the bottom.

·
General Contractor
7,890 Posts
I cut a few of them and I use masking tape on the door to eliminate burrs and prevent any scuff marks from the shoe... Now, since I got the track saw, I have been using that it gives you a nice crisp edge without the tape, and on a bit on more expensive doors, I still like to use the tape just as a precaution.

·
Registered
11,180 Posts
With metal doors patience...........I cut a 1/4 longer than I want, de burr and spray primer on edge, then use a router to excavate the foam so I can replug the wood into the hole.

The plug should sit 1/4" deeper than the steel. I slather more sealant in gaps and clamp a 1x on edge side of the door flush with plug depth. It prevent unwanted oil canning while I peen the edge over.

I use another piece of 1x so it bends more evenly than hammer dings

·
Administrator
24,065 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah, if you're whacking that much off it gets to be fun. Wasn't thinking about that scenario with my earlier reply.

But I still don't peen it if I can cover it with a sweep. Not much point IMO, since it's glued tight anyway plus being clamped by the sweep.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts