Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am doing a tile surround for the shower in my house. It is my first tile project and everything was going ok until I had to cut out a hole for the mixing valve.

My tile are 12"x24" porcelain tile. I broke 5 of them using a 4" grinder with diamond blade.

Any suggestions on how to get it accomplished? I will try to remember to take more pictures tomorrow.

Attachments

·
Registered
7,094 Posts
Use a wet saw or if you still want to use a grinder set the tile on a soft foam pad. However you are cutting it now is causing too much vibration.

Wet saw is your best bet. Either drop the tile onto the blade or lower the blade onto the tile, depends on the saw

·
Registered
12,041 Posts
Lets start with you have to Kerdi band the corners and Kerdi board to pan seam.

Put the tile on a piece of Kerdi board, cut through the tile, keeping pressure on the tile to the Kerdi board. Cut from the rear, remember you're working backwards. Keep the tile wet by cutting through a soaking wet sponge.

Tom

·
Always Learning
8,509 Posts
Second what Tom said...read up or watch how to properly install Kerdiboard. For the cut try drilling the 4 corners with a 3/8" diamond drill bit (not a hammer drill bit) first then connect the corners with the grinder. This can help relieve the tension in the tile first. Also a good mesh style blade works a lot better than a cheap box store continuous rim blade for hard porcelain.

Sent from my SM-T380 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Use a wet saw or if you still want to use a grinder set the tile on a soft foam pad. However you are cutting it now is causing too much vibration.

Wet saw is your best bet. Either drop the tile onto the blade or lower the blade onto the tile, depends on the saw
I have tried setting it on a piece of 2" insulation board.

Wish I had a wet saw!

·
Always Learning
8,509 Posts

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Also, score the square cutout footprint on the back of the tile first, then do the front.
You get a feel for how that tile cuts, but since you say you've broken a few, you probably already know. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Looking back I should have laid things out a bit better but I am thinking about moving my grout line to the right a bit so I would only need to make a C cut instead of a square hole but the mason in me says NO.:eek:

I also intend to lay it in a bed of mason sand the next time I attempt a cut.

BTW that yellow splotch I put on the pic is so you pranksters dont call the number I wrote on the wall lol

Attachments

·
Registered
12,041 Posts
1 - 17 of 17 Posts