Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
when a customer fills out an email form on my website i find the odds are very slim it turns into a job. I find these people arent serious or price shopping 10-20 plumbers as quickly as possible.

rarely have i turned one of them into a customer...i always respond, but do not feel positive about what the result will be.

do you email them back pricing or call them?

when i email them the odds are a bit worse, but when i call i notice a slightly better sales rate.....the customer typically seems awkward when i call them. like they arent expecting it

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
I try to respond to people the same way they contacted me. Usually I figure it's their preference, that's why they used that medium in the first place. Email does make it a lot easier to kick the tires, though. I'm not surprised the closing rate on emails is lower.

Don't think I've gotten any organic leads come through my email form, just referrals, so they work out whether it's email or text or phone call.

·
I own stock in FotoMat!
12,985 Posts
If it's their first contact with you through your web site, and they're using a form, perhaps you can add the following to the form:

"How do you prefer we respond to your inquiry?"

Or something similar.

Reactions: Roofcheck

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
I try to respond to people the same way they contacted me. Usually I figure it's their preference, that's why they used that medium in the first place. Email does make it a lot easier to kick the tires, though. I'm not surprised the closing rate on emails is lower.

Don't think I've gotten any organic leads come through my email form, just referrals, so they work out whether it's email or text or phone call.
I agree, if someone emails me, I email back, if they call me I call back.

·
I'm The BOSS
1,904 Posts
I agree, if someone emails me, I email back, if they call me I call back.
I 2nd that, this is todays technology , we have to live with it.
At least your website is getting traffic.

I agree there's more tire kickers, I email them to confirm the receipt
of the EMAIL then ask for a phone number to make scheduling an
onsite meeting easier. It usually works. Or I ask them to call office for
appointment scheduling.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I typically will do both, email and call around the same time. We find that people that do fill in the online form are busy at work. They can't talk at work but they can email and text.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
I respond in kind..email gets email, phone call gets phone call.
I find that I prefer the email contact. Seems the phone calls are the ones that are in a hurry and the email ones are willing to wait to get scheduled in.
I can't think of a single job I've done in the last year that wasn't email contact except for repeat customers and even some of those were email contact :laughing:

·
Registered
111 Posts
We find sometimes those that call are more serious about their project. Where it takes more effort to pick up the phone and call vs copying and pasting the same email message to several contractors at the same time.

·
Registered
4,048 Posts
I usually email them back, as I agree with you, usually they are clueless when you call them regarding the form they filled out online.

Some do turn into jobs, but for some reason I do get a large number of people that use our contact form to seek technical help and want me to solve their problems for free via email.

·
General Contractor
8,081 Posts
I never got an email from online form asking for price. Every email I got stated brief scope of work and they would like to meet and get an estimate.

I reply with the same brief email, simply saying thanks for contacting me and please let me know what is the best time to meet to discuss your project.

It's quick simple, and all you have to do is confirm your appointment a day or two before you go out, by email also...Works like a charm every time.

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
Pretty much the same situation as Greg describes for me as well.

email contacts are a small fraction of our incoming contacts---- just under 10%.

converting them to sales---- is almost 100%. I LOVE being contacted by Email, once I figured that out----since it is pretty much a slam dunk sale.

for us, the email contact comes from a referral or a direct mail piece.--- They have already visited the web site and seen some work. They are almost always successful people with Busy careers. I sold a large copper half round gutter job----recieved Email confirmation this AM. I had made the sales presentation at 8:00 AM this past Saturday and that presentation was originally scheduled via an Email contact 2 weeks ago.

I can say that I have not really had a tire kicker via Email---ever.
stephen

·
Registered
403 Posts
There is no question for my prospects that callers are serious and emailers are largely a waste of time. I always call. The close rate is way higher for us and that is all I need to know. I am not a typist. I'm a builder and salesman. I need details they almost always leave out and talking is the fastest way to get the info.

I require a phone number and email back that requirement if they wish to proceed explaining I find it inefficient to compile omitted details needed to proceed efficiently.

Anyone that responds a second time without a phone number gets deleted. Im too busy to work with people that cant follow simple instructions how to work together most efficiently.

·
Marketing Consultant
35 Posts
You can definitely improve lead quality from email and contact forms. I'd suggest
trying to sort general inquiries from actual leads by making changes to the form like diamondj suggested.

It also might have something to do with the "Call to Action" in your website. (The text, link or button that lead the visitor to the form.) We find that "Contact us" is very generic and leaves room for a lot of general inquiries that are not qualified leads.

We normally use something like "Get a Quote!" or "Schedule In-Home Inspection" so that people that fill the form know that they will be contacted to set an appointment.
We also advise our clients to never giving prices over the phone or email (not even ballpark numbers), even if your competitors do. We suggest aiming for that scheduled appointment instead. In our experience, homeowners who are really looking to hire, understand that you can't price a project without inspecting the site.

·
Registered
4,048 Posts
You can definitely improve lead quality from email and contact forms. I'd suggest
trying to sort general inquiries from actual leads by making changes to the form like diamondj suggested.

It also might have something to do with the "Call to Action" in your website. (The text, link or button that lead the visitor to the form.) We find that "Contact us" is very generic and leaves room for a lot of general inquiries that are not qualified leads.

We normally use something like "Get a Quote!" or "Schedule In-Home Inspection" so that people that fill the form know that they will be contacted to set an appointment.
We also advise our clients to never giving prices over the phone or email (not even ballpark numbers), even if your competitors do. We suggest aiming for that scheduled appointment instead. In our experience, homeowners who are really looking to hire, understand that you can't price a project without inspecting the site.
I like the in home inspection idea, and I like the idea of adding a question regarding when they plan to complete the work.

Mine currently says request a quote and I still get a large number of people looking for me to solve their problems via email.

·
Registered
370 Posts
As a customer, nothing turns me off more than getting a call following my email inquiry.

The second thing that annoys me are businesses that want my life story before they will provide the information I am looking for.

Any of the above assures that the company will not get my business.

In 2014, there is no convenient time to call, and there are no normal business hours.

Mark

·
Radical Basement Dweller
29,456 Posts
Most new business usually starts with a phone call. I encourage email from then on.

·
Licensed Gas contractor
708 Posts
I love the customers that call and then email me. I respond to their call leaving a voice mail because they didn't answer and email but never hear from them. Wait a day, call and email again, then I usually get a response.

Had a guy do this just the other day and said it was urgent that I get back to him. Took two days for him to respond to my two emails and voice mail. I guess it wasn't too urgent. LOL

1 - 20 of 22 Posts