Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
GC/carpenter
GC/Carpenter
43,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I Have a prospective customer that wants to go to another customers home to see my work. I don't think it would be appropriate to do this. What do you guys think? Also how do I tell them this without sounding like an ass?

She asked if there is a job nearby they can go have a look at. 99% of my jobs are in fenced back yards.

·
diplomat
5,292 Posts
It may be a little different situation, but I've done this. I asked permission of course, and happy customers seem happy to show off their home. One past customer told me the potential customer was an ass, so I wasn't too disappointed when we I didn't end up building their house :laughing:

·
Registered
797 Posts
Not getting it. Wouldn't you want to show off your past work? I mean, you would have to organize it with the home owner of course but I can't imagine that would be problematic. What am I missing here?

·
Hair Splitter
18,330 Posts
You don't have customers that want to show off your work to help you get business? Heck, I have a customer that we finished a bathroom gut last month and she has my business cards in a holder on her bathroom counter. I have already sent three people by her house, with her permissions (and enthusiasm) of course.

·
GC/carpenter
GC/Carpenter
43,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Reg said:
Not getting it. Wouldn't you want to show off your past work? I mean, you would have to organize it with the home owner of course but I can't imagine that would be problematic. What am I missing here?
If someone built something at my home I wouldn't want them bringing strangers over. I'm not an advertising tool. Thats how I would feel. Plus I respect my customers privacy, it could put them on the spot, just by asking. It has nothing to do with rather or not I would like to show off my work. JMO

·
GC/carpenter
GC/Carpenter
43,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
TNTSERVICES said:
You don't have customers that want to show off your work to help you get business? Heck, I have a customer that we finished a bathroom gut last month and she has my business cards in a holder on her bathroom counter. I have already sent three people by her house, with her permissions (and enthusiasm) of course.
I don't know because I haven't asked.

·
Artist and not a curator
12,872 Posts
I Have a prospective customer that wants to go to another customers home to see my work. I don't think it would be appropriate to do this. What do you guys think? Also how do I tell them this without sounding like an ass?

She asked if there is a job nearby they can go have a look at. 99% of my jobs are in fenced back yards.
I usually do the ole "hey its been a little while, you mind if I stop by to make sure everything is up to snuff. By the way would you mind if I bring a client with me to show them some of the ideas YOU had?"

Win, win. Old customer is happy you still care, new customer gets a looksy.

·
GC/carpenter
GC/Carpenter
43,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
TNTSERVICES said:
Like this last one I have had several tell me that they would be willing to show our work.
I'm probably overthinking it as I do quite often.

·
Registered
12,339 Posts
I think it depends on the customer. I have a couple customers who would probably put out cookies and cold drinks if I brought a potential customer by to look at something I did.

·
GC/carpenter
GC/Carpenter
43,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
VinylHanger said:
I think it depends on the customer. I have a couple customers who would probably put out cookies and cold drinks if I brought a potential customer by to look at something I did.
Don't get me wrong, I have lots of customers who really like me. I was just concerned about their privacy.

·
Super Moderator
27,547 Posts
I understand your apprehension, Mike.

I have a considerable amount of respect for my clients privacy. The photos and projects I have posted on here, I sought permission to do so. Same for advertising and website. I don't lean toward the Frank Lloyd Wright thinking, that I own my projects. After completion, my clients do.

We have keys to about 80 homes we have worked on and built, almost all second homes. They want us to have the keys, and call us on occasion to take care of something for them. I have called many of them to ask if i may bring a proprospective client to see our work. I have never been refused.

It is our major selling point. I'll take you to see some of our work, ask the other bidders to do the same.

·
Registered
2,643 Posts
I get it Mike. Ever done work for a friend? How about in your own backyard? I've used the work I've done on my own home as inadvertent advertising before.

·
Registered
9,177 Posts
I've got standing invitations from many of customers to bring potential clients over, this is initiated by THEM. Many don't even have stairs on their deck so people would have to come through their home. I usually take people to a project that has steps though and I always double check with the owner. I'm usually there as well to answer questions and if the homeowner is there we'll talk a bit. I would say that almost all of the customers I've brought to a finished project have chosen us.

·
Registered
8,133 Posts
While I think that lots of people don't want strangers traipsing through their home some don't mind. I for one wouldn't care but I think my wife would, she's the type that over cleans before company comes over and arranges the towels differently etc..., I find it weird but whatever. You usually know which customers are which. Like TNT I have some customers that LOVE to show off the beautiful work I've done for them, but I also have others that are more private, both are easy to spot.

·
K&B Plus...
242 Posts
Personally, I wouldn't want a lot of people traipsing through my home either. But, this is something that I cover with all of my customers at point of sale. I always tell them I'm going to photograph the completed job for my portfolio, even if it's not really magazine material. Makes them feel great.

At the end of the job, when I do the photo shoot, I tell them that I respect their privacy, but that their kitchen is some of the best work I've done (even if it's not) and ask them if they'd mind potentially letting a new customer look at their kitchen in person. I put a time limit on the potential intrusions, usually the next year, and no more than 4 visits during that year. That way, they get to show off, but not have to stage the place like they're trying to sell it.

Most people are OK with the idea when you put limits on it. Some are not comfortable with the idea, and that's cool. It's rare that I get the request, but I'm prepared if I do, with people who are OK or even enthusiastic about the idea.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Where's the harm in asking ?? I've have potential clients come on a site before.. But like everyone's said they only came with the home owners permission

·
Registered
819 Posts
don't you have a nice picture book and some positive reviews

id give her a couple of phone numbers to call for references....to go on someone elses property is going too far

ive had home builders sneak into my new home jobsites to see my work......usually they drop off the plan and I give them a quick tour....no one lives there, so no biggie.....but going to a strangers house to look at your work is not appropriate

1 - 20 of 46 Posts