Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
Design/Build Remodeling
6,590 Posts
I’m thinking about doing the job. Here’s my response:

“Marcy, I’m the man for the job! I’m estimating it will take 2000 hours to complete and I’ll need half up front. If you ever see me again, we’ll discuss the balance due. I can start as soon as your deposit clears.”

·
Super Moderator
11,970 Posts
Unfortunately some un-"everthing" dope will think this is a great opportunity and do it. I get calls all the time that try and talk down my electrical service call prices since they found somebody on CL that will work for $15 an hour. Good luck with that. I hope the money you saved will help with the funeral costs for your kids when things go wrong.:rolleyes:

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
58,564 Posts
Well if you have no skills then it might take you 20 hours to do that. A cool $200 :rolleyes:

·
General Contractor
8,112 Posts
I occasionally surf CL to pick up a few cash jobs. I came across an ad looking for a carpenter. Here is the ad

View attachment 113319
There is nothing new about this and we hear about this on this blog all the time.

With that said, being a professional contractor, WTF are you doing there in the first place looking to strap yourself into some BS job as this one.

·
Registered
669 Posts
On the same note, talking to our roofer the other day. He went to bid a roof job, 22 sq. tear off, re-sheath with 1/2" osb, paper, flashings, shingles. He gave the lady the quote, she looked at him like he was the devil! Said the "other" guy gave her a price of $1900. That won't even buy the shingles!

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
58,564 Posts
On the same note, talking to our roofer the other day. He went to bid a roof job, 22 sq. tear off, re-sheath with 1/2" osb, paper, flashings, shingles. He gave the lady the quote, she looked at him like he was the devil! Said the "other" guy gave her a price of $1900. That won't even buy the shingles!
And she was still looking for a better price.:rolleyes:

·
Finish Carpenter
4,999 Posts
This is all the result of kids being told that the only way to make a decent living is to go to college (Me being one of them kids). Cause and Effect. It tells everyone we do not value tradesmen, therefore they shouldn't get paid a decent wage. That very fact keeps many more skilled people out of the trades, leaving a labor shortage...meaning the price will go back up as more and more people realize the skilled workers are rare and only work for those willing to pay. I can't tell you how many people I work for that are frustrated with the lack of skilled tradesmen out there. Once they find you, they latch on for dear life and seek your approval for every other trade they need (recommend plumbers, electrician, painters etc etc)

Let these cheap asses get their cheap ass stairs....

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
There is another side of the coin that's never addressed on CT.
There are alot of people who simply don't have the money to pay for their repairs. What is the single mother working two minimum wage jobs with her leaking roof and rotted floor under the toilet supposed to do?
The general advise here is it's the contractors fault that these people call you and that you need to market and sell yourself better.

·
Finish Carpenter
4,999 Posts
There is another side of the coin that's never addressed on CT.
There are alot of people who simply don't have the money to pay for their repairs. What is the single mother working two minimum wage jobs with her leaking roof and rotted floor under the toilet supposed to do?
The general advise here is it's the contractors fault that these people call you and that you need to market and sell yourself better.
I have one client like that I work for, only one because I can't afford to help every struggling person out there or I would be one myself. I am sure many other guys on here do the same as well.

1 - 20 of 92 Posts