Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 192 Posts

·
David Festa
2,561 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is my customer threatening a negative Angie’s List review if I don’t do extra work?
Were at the end of the project, customer sends me a punch list, not a big deal except the items that are not included in our contract. I send him an email stating XYZ are extra’s. We send a few emails back and forth then he sends me a picture of Angie’s List contractor review page, is this a threat? Should I give in? My answer is no, I will not give in or be blackmailed to do extra work

·
Every now and then poster
13,436 Posts
If it was a couple a hundy I'd do it for the positive review. I know most will disagree with that but those reviews are far more valuable than a few hours of punch items..

I'd document that convo incase the review is unfavorable at which point you could have it removed..

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
Just say no. Im getting sick of it lately. No one comes and works on my house for free

Reactions: dkillianjr

·
David Festa
2,561 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Too boot I got my final inspection today………..pass, inspector was pissed HO had furniture delivered and set up, inspector want me to call HO and have all his items removed ASAP and issue a fine to HO, the good guy I am talk him out of the fine and this is what I get

·
Registered
3,951 Posts
Was this a custom home? I'm not sure why he has to send you an email of his punch list, you should walk through it with him in person and ask if he's happy with the work. We can't give you an honest opinion as to wether you should fix these things for free without seeing your contract or knowing what those items are.

·
Banned
4,895 Posts
Out of the 12 items only one maybe two were mine, touch up paint which was most likely from the furniture movers and re-caulk the master tub, not mad for a complete interior and exterior reno
I'd consider doing it just to make him happy.......but I'd certainly explain how this is wrong.

·
David Festa
2,561 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'd consider doing it just to make him happy.......but I'd certainly explain how this is wrong.
It’s a long list of “ not to do with me items” Example: im not a plumber!, HO hired his own plumber, which I might add is his friend, plumber made a few big mistakes, now HO wants me to fix/cover up his mistakes. Plumbing is just one part of the list, insurance company paid HO for a new front door but HO wanted the front door left out of the contract, now all of a sudden he wants it repainted, new hinges and fix the threshold all for free lol

·
Banned
4,895 Posts
It’s a long list of “ not to do with me items” Example: im not a plumber!, HO hired his own plumber, which I might add is his friend, plumber made a few big mistakes, now HO wants me to fix/cover up his mistakes. Plumbing is just one part of the list, insurance company paid HO for a new front door but HO wanted the front door left out of the contract, now all of a sudden he wants it repainted, new hinges and fix the threshold all for free lol
Ahhhh, I see what you mean David. That really sucks just to deal with people like this.

Hold your ground and be nice. Ask him, "So you are threatening me for items that are not in my contract?"

Use those exact words. I would literally send him a one sentence email in the form of a question he has to answer.

·
David Festa
2,561 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ahhhh, I see what you mean David. That really sucks just to deal with people like this.

Hold your ground and be nice. Ask him, "So you are threatening me for items that are not in my contract?"

Use those exact words. I would literally send him a one sentence email in the form of a question he has to answer.
I’m writing up a change order for the items and I’ll add a note asking about the picture he sent, I’m also calling AL tomorrow to discuss the HO actions, if this is in fact an attempt to blackmail or strong arm me into doing the work for free then this is not something I will take lightly, especially since the balance he owes me is over 10K

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
What are we talking, $100,000 job? If its anywhere close I would give the guy a bone and do the work for free. I'll do whatever it takes to keep a customer happy, and if that means a day or two of painting, no big deal.
edit; i see now that he owes 10,000. I would want that to be paid first.

·
Repair/Remodeling Tech.
1,645 Posts
I think its time for contractor to have a do not work for list! i could see myself paying for that list it would a great tool. What do you all feel about a list ( do not work for)
Wont work...been talked about over and over again...has been tried (or maybe still is being tried) by a member of this board. Not sure how it's going, but I doubt it will last long term.

·
Repair/Remodeling Tech.
1,645 Posts
And back on topic:

I wouldn't do anything for him until his balance was paid in FULL, and then it would only be the items I was originally responsible for. Tell him to leave his bad review.

Think of it like reviews on anything else...maybe something you're buying on Amazon. If you find 100 reviews and 1 of them is negative, and 99 are positive...do you really worry a lot about the 1 bad one?

·
Banned
2,247 Posts
You need good PR skills?

You need to brush up on your PR skills.

Never try to resolve an issue with a customer through an email nor on the phone. It can't be done.

The only thing you want to tell the customer on the phone is, "I am sure we can resolve this issue. When would you like to meet?"

When you meet the bonehead(s) the only thing you say is Hello, let's sit down and I am sure I can resolve this and make you a happy camper. You want them to do all the talking they can. Bite your tongue off until they are exhausted. Then, you whips out your contract (like the movie Blazing Saddles) and you say, "please allow me whips out my contract as you reach into your pants, go over our (not your) contract item by item, and please tell me when you see something that does not please you."

Always have a backup plan.

When you go to the customer's house make sure you have your mag light that holds 5 batteries just in case they still disagree, but whatever you do don't tell the customer you want to turn them into popsicles like I do because this can get you some pretty bad reviews and maybe even a nice country club vacation.

·
Super Moderator
11,936 Posts
David,

I helped a GC with a similar situation for a similar lead service which rhymes with DDD, CCC, EEE, PPP, TTT, VVV, ZZZ.:whistling

In this case, they carefully reviewed the complaint, then the response, and removed it from view completely.

Let him threaten all he wants.

Good to see you stop by! I hope all ELSE is going great.

Ron

1 - 20 of 192 Posts