Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Every now and again I run in to a customer that I wish I had never booked. They are more trouble than they are worth. I am wondering if there are any web sites for contractors like Yelp but reviews customers instead of businesses. I'd pay to be able to look up a customer and see if they are a problem. Any body know of anything like this?

Chuck

·
Registered
819 Posts
ive brought this idea up forever...an angies list for customers.....this i would join

problem is who wants to be the business to be the complainer.....your marked...

id also like to be able to complain about other peoples driving.....write down their license plate and send them a citizens complaint....

neither idea is going to happen....it should though

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
I won't work for born again Christians, 80% + are morally bankrupt dealing with "Gentiles", I am going to Hell anyway, why not steal from me? school of logic.... Certain ethnic groups from Asia, mostly former Commies.....

Small towns do have elephant memories, ask the HO for references, he got yours didn't he? Call his banker, they know if HO is a prima Donna, or a Martha Stewart, " the Best @ Cost..."

Credit report for larger jobs, talk to neighbors while arranging 'access', worse case, check the legal data base for civil suites with their names....Hire a private detective if you're talking six and seven figure money with an "unknown" payer.

Sadly, I've passed on toxic customers to uppity competition and bad actors as a from of Karma accelleration :jester: Forgive me Jesus?:no:

In final analysis, Sneaky Uber picky customers are practising theft by deception, posing as low maintinance buyers then reverting to type after getting a price much lower than would have been offered with complete information RE the customers actual expectations.

·
Champion Thread Derailer
1,228 Posts
I won't work for born again Christians, 80% + are morally bankrupt dealing with "Gentiles", I am going to Hell anyway, why not steal from me? school of logic.... Certain ethnic groups from Asia, mostly former Commies.....

Small towns do have elephant memories, ask the HO for references, he got yours didn't he? Call his banker, they know if HO is a prima Donna, or a Martha Stewart, " the Best @ Cost..."

Credit report for larger jobs, talk to neighbors while arranging 'access', worse case, check the legal data base for civil suites with their names....Hire a private detective if you're talking six and seven figure money with an "unknown" payer.

Sadly, I've passed on toxic customers to uppity competition and bad actors as a from of Karma accelleration :jester: Forgive me Jesus?:no:

In final analysis, Sneaky Uber picky customers are practising theft by deception, posing as low maintinance buyers then reverting to type after getting a price much lower than would have been offered with complete information RE the customers actual expectations.
I'm going to step out on a limb here, but it seems highly likely that there would be some customers that would be appreciative, or somehow benefit from learning your prejudices/biases, prior to doing business with you. Please don't get me wrong, as it is certainly your prerogative to have prejudices/biases for or against certain segments of society, but it could very well adversely effect "some" homeowner's decision to hire you if they were aware. But the choice is certainly all yours to make; I can't deny that.

One of the things I'm saying is: be aware of making public statements.

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
Thanks for the reminder, Big Data will put us all in the Borderless Gulag.

Pay cash, and turn the cell phone/ slave collar off...

They aren't Prejudices, they are POST judices, after REAL experiences, Political correctness can't cover up the anti-social tendencies of certain groups, pretending otherwise is just another mental illness/magical thinking.

Even customers/employers I've disliked get a honest days work at a slightly higher rate.
And I quit talking Politics or religion many jobs ago.....
I'm at an age where every Born again I deal with would have to exceed the average behavior significantly to change the groups' behavior reputation/reality to equal an average person's/group. One can hope...

Only a fool would think the average former PRC Chinaman uses Western sytle ethics in business.

·
Champion Thread Derailer
1,228 Posts
It seems you may have missed my point: prejudices and biases can go both ways. In other words, you can be the target of someone that doesn't want to deal with a business owner that has clearly stated you don't like certain segments of the population, i.e., Christians, commies, etc. One doesn't have to be a Christian, or Commie, or whatever else, to perceive someone being closed-minded. In my opinion, if you run a business and have specific prejudices towards a certain group, it would be best to simply steer clear and try not make a habit out of advertising your biases toward a specific group.

If it pertains to being beat down on your price, or being taken advantage of (ripped off), there are better ways to contend with either situation without resorting to being perceived as offensive toward various other people that don't share in your ideologies. But, moreover, an individual doesn't have to be Christian, Algerian, Chinese, etc, in order to rip you off. It seems it just makes good business sense; but do as you please, as I said, it is your choice.

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
Jeff G, All men and women start out equal under the Law, Some have SELF SELECTED to act in certain manners that aren't Generally Accepted Business Mores... I charge members of these groups more. or if I can't, won't engage in endevors with them.

Every indidivual person is judged indidivually, membership in groups that practice anti-social acts will effect my judgement but not predetermine it.

Liking or disliking has NOTHING to with business, I like many reborn Christians but, won't generally deal with them. I accept them as they are but refuse to work for reduced rates to finance their mundane lives. Again I respect refugees from PRC, but don't feel I need to give them $...

Imaginary bias and "prejudices" based on myth are self punishing, no affirmative actions required... See CO2 forced AGW believers

Punishing Business owners for avoiding high risk low paying jobs is silly, see the Real estate mortgage collaspe AKA Dodd & Frank act.

·
Champion Thread Derailer
1,228 Posts
Jeff G, All men and women start out equal under the Law, Some have SELF SELECTED to act in certain manners that aren't Generally Accepted Business Mores... I charge members of these groups more. or if I can't, won't engage in endevors with them.

Every indidivual person is judged indidivually, membership in groups that practice anti-social acts will effect my judgement but not predetermine it.

Liking or disliking has NOTHING to with business, I like many reborn Christians but, won't generally deal with them. I accept them as they are but refuse to work for reduced rates to finance their mundane lives. Again I respect refugees from PRC, but don't feel I need to give them $...

Imaginary bias and "prejudices" based on myth are self punishing, no affirmative actions required... See CO2 forced AGW believers

Punishing Business owners for avoiding high risk low paying jobs is silly, see the Real estate mortgage collaspe AKA Dodd & Frank act.
What I'm talking about (and what I don't understand) is alienating yourself as as business from customers who take issue with businesses that have publicly announced they are biased towards specific groups of people holding specific views, not about being politically correct.

Nothing imaginary about it if you have publicly expressed these biases. My question, why would you do this knowing it could adversely effect potential clients, even those that don't fall within your stated biased group?

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
"What I'm talking about (and what I don't understand) is alienating yourself as as business from customers who take issue with businesses that have publicly announced they are biased towards specific groups of people holding specific views, not about being politically correct."

No, I don't espouse my criteria for customer selection, avoid "demons" seek "angels" Send the cry babies and money for nothings to the competition....

It is sad that rational behavior is castigated by fuzzy thinkers.

I use my earnings for charity, not my business, WWJD...

·
Champion Thread Derailer
1,228 Posts
"What I'm talking about (and what I don't understand) is alienating yourself as as business from customers who take issue with businesses that have publicly announced they are biased towards specific groups of people holding specific views, not about being politically correct."

No, I don't espouse my criteria for customer selection, avoid "demons" seek "angels" Send the cry babies and money for nothings to the competition....

It is sad that rational behavior is castigated by fuzzy thinkers.

I use my earnings for charity, not my business, WWJD...
You have in this thread, and it is within the public eye.

Your prerogative! Thanks for the heads-up! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
Every now and again I run in to a customer that I wish I had never booked. They are more trouble than they are worth. I am wondering if there are any web sites for contractors like Yelp but reviews customers instead of businesses. I'd pay to be able to look up a customer and see if they are a problem. Any body know of anything like this?

Chuck
Every once in a while a crazy person starts one of those sites, hoping to get subscribers to pay for his vendetta against a particular nightmare customer.

I've been lucky to have good customers so far, so I'm not interested.

·
The Ultimate Wire Hider
4,455 Posts
Having some very good qualifying questions usually help determine if someone is going to be a bad customer.

Sometimes I'll ask the homeowner about their neighbors and the neighborhood. Typically if they don't have anything nice to say about other people in general or they speak from the perspective that the world is against them, then chances are that they will think the same thing about me.

Sometimes I'll ask them about other projects that they have had done around the house. If the work looks good but they have all kinds of nasty things to say about the contractor, that can be an indication also.

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
Having some very good qualifying questions usually help determine if someone is going to be a bad customer.

Sometimes I'll ask the homeowner about their neighbors and the neighborhood. Typically if they don't have anything nice to say about other people in general or they speak from the perspective that the world is against them, then chances are that they will think the same thing about me.

Sometimes I'll ask them about other projects that they have had done around the house. If the work looks good but they have all kinds of nasty things to say about the contractor, that can be an indication also.
Ted, you're right about that. Seems to me had a discussion along these lines on another thread recently. Along with all the other stuff, many homeowners are very eager to talk about how they're nobody's fool, just ask that contractor they sued, or refused to pay, or otherwise abused.

·
Banned
38 Posts
Ted, you're right about that. Seems to me had a discussion along these lines on another thread recently. Along with all the other stuff, many homeowners are very eager to talk about how they're nobody's fool, just ask that contractor they sued, or refused to pay, or otherwise abused.
It isn't always possible to ferret out trouble customers but creating a Angies List for bad customers is not the way to solve it. I agree that asking about past work they've had done and getting input from the neighbors is the way to go if the project cost warrants it. There is too much back biting on the Internet as it is.

Ismael
www.ismaelsinc.com

1 - 14 of 14 Posts