Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I'm new to this forum. I really been using alot of cedar & PT in my area. Have installed some Trex jobs over the years and nothing but problems, heat, twisting etc.. even built a few Trex railing (never again). Now Azek and Correct deck are becoming very popular in the area and have a job but alot of question I really cannot answer.

The home owner has 2 really big dogs and 3 children. They existing deck is old 2 x 6 painted fur on a beach house (held up for 40 years) She would like to use AZEk or Correct deck but has big concerns about the Scratches and stains. The front deck is about 18 x 12 with a 3' x 40' run doun the side with a 18 x 10 rear deck. The dogs run up and down the side of the house because it is a corner lot and people are walking around everywhere in this small community it would be a great location to advertise from because of the foot traffic, the job is mine I just have to sell the product. I do not want to sell the wrong thing...Community is to small a word gets around...fast. Any info on how these product would hold up?

·
Premium Member
Retired deck builder
5,242 Posts
Either one of those should be good at not absorbing stains & are more scratch resistant than the softer composites. Hope they can stand the sticker shock cause Azek is not cheap. If you are on the west coast or Texas look into Ameradeck. Same qualities as the others but, at a much easier to swallow price.

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
If she's askin' about AZEK and CorrectDeck, she's already started doing her homework. As for composites, you want AZEK, CorrectDeck CX or TimberTech XLM. All three of these boards are better than generation 1 composites, meaning they are harder to scratch and more impervious to stains than other composite boards. Impossible to scratch or stain? No. With two big dogs, I think scratches are just a part of their everyday life.

Search through this forum (use the Search button in the blue bar above) - do your research. If you've never used AZEK or CDCX, educate yourself as to why they're better than reg. composite. Take that info to your HO and watch her be impressed 'cause you know what you're talkin' about.

Just a thought, bump that 3' walkway out to 4'. 3' is awfully narrow for a 40' run - no room for multiple people/dogs to pass.

Oh, and welcome to the forum. If you intend on stickin' around, please post an intro thread in the Introductions forum. Thank you for listing your location in your profile!

Mac

·
The Deck Guy
3,126 Posts
Listen to Mac--he knows

I will add:

CDCX is not PVC like Azek or XLM. Performance-wise all three have very similar characteristics, but CDCX is not a PVC product.

Azek deck is raw extruded PVC with flax (an organic) mixed into the PVC. The surface is embossed with a wood grain.

TimberTech XLM has a PVC core (no organics) that is encapsulated with an even harder PVC wear layer. In other words, it's like an Azek board wrapped in a hard candy shell.

Correct Deck has a composite (wood fiber and plastic) core that is encapsulated with a wear layer that is not PVC, but exhibits all the positives of a PVC product in terms of performance. The benefit of CDCX is that you get a richer color spectrum because they don't have the limitations of coloring PVC.

Are you confused yet?

·
Registered
9,177 Posts
Well what am I here for??? If you do any searching you are going to find I am going to recommend CX as number 1. I like that they have a full line that can be color matched or you can mix the colors for a sweet look. Some products dont have a rail system that performs as well as their decking or even has matching colors. Personally I find it easy to sell CX. Dump some mustard on it and then just wipe it off that should sell it. As far as scratches go... Well nothing in the world is perfect but I have been very impressed with CX I am not real careful while installing it because I know its hard to damage. If you do damage it though at least they have a repair kit that works very well (works better on the light colors over the dark colors).

Azek is a fine product as well and XLM too.

·
Composite Decking Mfr
135 Posts
Legan - welcome to the forum, thanks for considering our product. Long Island has been very good to us over the years, even though your customers are pretty much the most demanding people on earth. I was just there last week visiting one of our dealers, Five Star Hardware in Valley Stream.

I think your client would be pleased with CorrectDeck CX - pretty much the hardest surface out there. One thing I sometimes do is use a piece of CX to pound a hole in a piece of Azek, to demonstrate how much harder the surface of CX is. (Alright, I admit it, I do that frequently...)

Let me know if you need anything - samples, more tech specs, etc - happy to help. We're also running a lot of promotions on the HFS right now.

Marty

·
Registered
9,177 Posts
I think your client would be pleased with CorrectDeck CX - pretty much the hardest surface out there. One thing I sometimes do is use a piece of CX to pound a hole in a piece of Azek, to demonstrate how much harder the surface of CX is. (Alright, I admit it, I do that frequently...)

Marty
Thats funny. I love Correct Deck but at first I hated working with it because it is so dense. Now that I have used it long enough I know all the tricks with it. It really is almost stupidly dense.

·
Composite Decking Mfr
135 Posts
You can't scratch it off, we don't want that any more than you do. We've run it through hundreds of thousands of cycles in the Taber Abraser to make sure. Even if you did scratch off the surface (set a saw with a spinning blade on it for example), the inside is just regular composite decking, and you can fix it with the touch up kit. CX is much more durable than Azek in this respect as a matter of fact - Azek is like a soft boiled egg, it has a hard shell with tender innards.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Do Not Nail

Sounds like someone might be nailing correct deck. nailed clips are used to tie down correct deck... not nails through the board.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts