Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Once a customer signs a work completed form, where do you draw the line on call backs. We have a work completion to prevent callbacks but we have been weak footed in enforcing it which is costing us.

Its a series of 3 yes/no questions the customer circles yes/no and signs followed by a some critiquing questions which are optional. Its fairly informal (most of our jobs are below 4k), and designed to get the customer to walk through the job with our foreman and point out any issues so they can address it right then. For example the 1st line reads "walk through of the job was performed with foreman and all work was successfully completed and the area was from damage. Y N".

In the instance that prompted me to write this, the customer indicated and signed that a "walk through of the job was completed and all work was successfully completed and the area was from damage." The customer even called the owner and told him how great are guys were. A week later he sends an email with a rather lengthy punch list considering the size ($2000) of this project citing materials installed with dents & scratches, a door that doesnt swing, and stuff that should be noticed before signing the work completed form.

·
PCI
General Contracting
687 Posts
If the defects are from your work then "I" would schedule the time to address the items. I'm not saying that you have to fix everything he/she points out, but address them.

Your reputation is valuable!

I just adjusted 3 doors because the ho said they sqeaked. I installed them in 1/13. They also want a proposal for a gazebo. Next year their kitchen. 10 yr customer that started with an ice dam.

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
I don't know the nature of your work--but if a customer calls me about an issue on my work--even after a number of years, I'll go see what's up and usually fix it---

Fortunately,that is rare---and ,like PCI---often leads to new work---

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
I know that your intent is too take care of issues as expediantly as possible and while you are still on site.....

but some less than well motivated remod companies (carpet/windows/siding) try that early punch list trick.... while the fresh appearance is appealing and the minor punch list items are not noticed.

When I sub out, I won't sign off.... you can't really evaluate every windows install, carpet not well stretched etc.

I'm with everybody above...., if it's wrong... fix it.

·
Registered
Carpentry
248 Posts
I takes a little while for people to notice flaws. I remember being happy with a carpet install, then two days later finding multiple areas the installers damaged the house, banged into the trim with hammers, or got adhesive on the painted walls, chipped wood floors, etc etc. And I also did a walk through with the supervisor; didn't notice anything at first.

As long as it wasn't something that arose after you guys left the job site, you should address it.

·
Registered
819 Posts
i would do a walk through w/ the customer and not just give the customer a form to fill out

this way you would BOTH see the issues together.....

a builder of mine had a customer that kept claiming new things for weeks/months....always something they didnt notice...he kept fixing them for a while.....lost his ass on the job...they were finding chips on their granite 30 days after the install.....i think they were damaging things and f-ing with him

for my plumbing fixtures i give 48 hours to report damage.......for good builders i have warrantied them for longer when they found damage, but for a homeowner===48 hours only

·
Registered
333 Posts
Why not just take care of what you're responsible for and stop trying to absolve yourself with "forms"

All those big box stores and big companies use them to skirt their responsibilities, or at the very least gives them some sort of hollow excuse not to perform.

You can not expect a customer to pick up on discrepancies with a quick walk through. Only until they are living their project on a daily bases will they start to focus on certain things and notice details.

It's the contractors responsibility to ensure all those details are what they need to be, not the clients.

·
Registered
4,048 Posts
There is a difference between I didn't notice this small scratch when the walk through was complete, and oh there is a huge dent in it. It's easy to overlook a small scratch, however a big dent should be another story.

Go back and fix whats wrong if its your fault.

This is also why it can be helpful to do your own walk through before you start a project. If you are going to be doing work in the area and notice holes in the wall, or stains on the floor never hurts to document it and have the HO sign off on it before you start, can help prevent you from fixing issues you didn't create.

·
Particulate Filter
4,430 Posts
Answering call backs is annoying. But its also your competiyive advantage over bigger companies. People expect to get poor service from home depot but their convenient and well advertised. Sorta like a hot hooker across the street. Yeah shes got heels and earings but you get up close and you think "yep its gonna hurt to pee when Im done with this"

·
Registered
242 Posts
Get out of your office and embrace your customers. I can't see how the paper pushers even stay in business. I cant believe there are that many HOs that couldn't care less who they do business with. Oh well good luck to ya.

·
Super Moderator
28,898 Posts
BTW what the he11 is a call back? Get better guys
I was about to say give me a break, but maybe YOU are that good.

Personally, I have wored for some custom builders and commercial GCs and never worked for one that didn't get call backs.

I tell my clients that I expect them to call me back within the first month for any small things as they find after they have moved into their new environment. I certainly expect 25% of my projects to get call backs for small things in the first 18 months, Like hairline cracks in grout or caulking separating because joists moved. Whatever the case may be, I address them properly. Which is why I don't advertise and am booked far in advance at the rates that I am looking for.

you must be one bad SOB my friend. Kudos to you

·
Registered
242 Posts
I was about to say give me a phucking break, but maybe YOU are that good.

Personally, I have wored for some badass custom builders and commercial GCs and never worked for one that didn't get call backs.

I tell my clients that I expect them to call me back within the first month for any small things as they find after they have moved into their new environment. I certainly expect 25% of my projects to get call backs for small things in the first 18 months, Like hairline cracks in grout or caulking separating because joists moved. Whatever the case may be, I address them properly. Which is why I don't advertise and am booked far in advance at the rates that I am looking for.

you must be one bad SOB my friend. Kudos to you

Thanks for the compliment. I have no reason to lie.
I do every part of my projects myself. That means

1. I don't have under skilled employees half assing work.

2. I don't have any subs who take short cuts.

Yeah Im not pulling down as much volume but I know its done the way I want and the way the HO wants. So no, when the check is handed over at the end thats the "work completed" form. If there is a small issue that pops up, not an emergency, i'll address it. If anything its a defective part which is unlikely due to using what works with my program. It doesnt happen or they don't complain either way its not a call back.

I offer a full list of references, and do work only by word of mouth.

·
Super Moderator
28,898 Posts
Thanks for the compliment. I have no reason to lie.
I do every part of my projects myself. That means

1. I don't have under skilled employees half assing work.

2. I don't have any subs who take short cuts.

Yeah Im not pulling down as much volume but I know its done the way I want and the way the HO wants. So no, when the check is handed over at the end thats the "work completed" form. If there is a small issue that pops up, not an emergency, i'll address it. If anything its a defective part which is unlikely due to using what works with my program. It doesnt happen or they don't complain either way its not a call back.

I offer a full list of references, and do work only by word of mouth.
:thumbsup:

Good for you dude.

I got a call back last month almost a year later because the lady didnt like the way the grain ran on her shelf. It was not consistent with the other grain on the other shelfs.... She said she had only been there twice and just "spotted" it

Good for you though, dude. Doing everything yourself is probably a good way to keep call backs from happening. Although some call backs have nothing to do with craftsmanship. Some are material failures or caused by a harsh natural environment, ect...

·
Registered
242 Posts
I work hard to sleep good at night. I put a lot of pressure on myself. Im getting older and will need to sub stuff or hire "help" in the future and will have to accept all the fun that comes with it either way i go. And Im 100% sure call backs will be a part of it.

I hear ya on the wood grain b1tch. Kinda weak IMo. Move it to a more non conspicuous location and call it good. Or charge for a new shelf. Or maybe she could just put something on said shelf and not even notice the grain differences. Haha

·
Super Moderator
28,898 Posts
I work hard to sleep good at night. I put a lot of pressure on myself. Im getting older and will need to sub stuff or hire "help" in the future and will have to accept all the fun that comes with it either way i go. And Im 100% sure call backs will be a part of it.

I hear ya on the wood grain b1tch. Kinda weak IMo. Move it to a more non conspicuous location and call it good. Or charge for a new shelf. Or maybe she could just put something on said shelf and not even notice the grain differences. Haha

:laughing: I actually suggested moving it, explained god made that wood. :whistling She said I wish you had picked one that matched closer :laughing: No big deal. Hour of shop time including clear seal, and im sure ill do more work there. She was cool the whole time I was there, just picky. Which is fine.

If your getting called back for major :censored: ups, there is a problem imo. Minor cosmetic stuff that happens like that, its just doing business to me. Meaning, if the client finds something unpainted or rough to the touch, or some cobbled up craftsmanship, need to do a better job. If a deck board opens up every now and again, no biggie.

Reactions: Quad Racer
1 - 20 of 26 Posts