Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Charles
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys, I have a customer that wants to do stone in the shower area. That includes shower base. I have done few custom shower bases with 2x2" tile.

I've seen granite in big shower areas. This shower would be something about 36x48" for shower base. I assume you have to cut the stone diagonally across the shower base to create the pitch.

I just can imagine that with granite and almost no grout line it has to be pain in the butt to get it right.

I usually use show liner and mortar to create the shower base. 2x2" tile is forgettable as far as imperfections in shower base. I do not think same applies to granite.
Is it time to switch to prefab shower bases? Are they sturdy enough for granite?

Do you have any tips or suggestion for this situation? I am just trying to gather some info before I talk to customer about it or before I do the estimate. If I get this job and if I have to go with stone I want to do it right.

Thanks for any input and advise. Charles

·
Tile Contractor
1,249 Posts
Are you talking about using granite tile to make the floor with? Polished granite??? Jheeeezh! I certainly hope not.:)

·
Banned
14,078 Posts
I may not be following this right, but if I am, granite is usually polished and polished granite is slick as snot when wet!:eek:

Cut down to 2x2 size it will be fine if set with 1/8" grout lines as the grout lines will give you plent of traction. But big pieces sound like a sure way to guarantee a trip to the hospital.

Maybe I'm reading this wrong?

·
Superior Firepower
5,089 Posts
Hi Guys, I have a customer that wants to do stone in the shower area. That includes shower base. I have done few custom shower bases with 2x2" tile.

I've seen granite in big shower areas. This shower would be something about 36x48" for shower base. I assume you have to cut the stone diagonally across the shower base to create the pitch.

I just can imagine that with granite and almost no grout line it has to be pain in the butt to get it right.

I usually use show liner and mortar to create the shower base. 2x2" tile is forgettable as far as imperfections in shower base. I do not think same applies to granite.
Is it time to switch to prefab shower bases? Are they sturdy enough for granite?

Do you have any tips or suggestion for this situation? I am just trying to gather some info before I talk to customer about it or before I do the estimate. If I get this job and if I have to go with stone I want to do it right.

Thanks for any input and advise. Charles
As long as the hole is lower than the top of the level granite slab, it will drain by it self.

Water seeks its own level.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Isn't there a way to texture stone so it's not smooth and polished? I vaguely recall something about media blasting with a coarse grit. Ring any bells?

·
Charles
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I like the snowflakes idea. LOL It would look great with dark granite.

I recall seeing granite or marble tile on the floor and the shower base.

It looks like I am not the only one puzzled by that. That's is why I wanted opinion of the tile guys.

I am not sure about cutting to 2x2 pieces. It seems to me that the edge might be sharper than the tile edge when you cut granite. (also it seems like a lot of work).

You are right about slippery part.

I am not talking about anything specific yet. It was just general request from customer. I am just seeking and input of pros since I haven't done shower base with any similar material.

I want to be prepared when I talk to the customer.

So would you say it is very uncommon and possibly dangerous? No one has done it before?

·
Tile Contractor
1,249 Posts
The shiny tile is risky. The closer the grout lines the better, and even still using polished granite would still provide a very slick surface. Don't forget how hard the polished stones are to clean in a shower environment.

Some granites can be "flamed" for texture but then they look completely different, sandblasting would be the same deal.

If there are walls all around the shower base then a slope really isn't necessary but it is required by law where building codes apply. Four walls and a floor drain and that water is going to fall into that hole no matter what.:)

·
The Old Master
92 Posts
I back in the early 90's (1994 - 2004) had a Re-Bath Franchise. In that time period a standard was established for slip resistance on bathing surfaces. All tubs and shower bases after a certain date had to meet that standard.

ASTM special technical publication 649, 40-48, American Society for Testing and ... 01 on Specifications and Test Methods for Slip Resistance of Bathing ... likely to occur on bathtub or shower base surfaces.

On this granite base ... Better sandblast roughness into it or put the rsponsibility on the owner via a hold harmless noterized agreement.

CYA

·
Tile Contractor
1,249 Posts
There is also an ANSI (American National Standards Institute) requirement but in residential work no one has to pay attention to all that crap and most inspectors have no idea where the sun is during the day anyway.:) There are a lot of tiles that are not suitable for a shower floor.:)

·
Tile Contractor
1,249 Posts
THIS IS SPAM
Where's all the Moderators?​

Give us a few minutes, Bud!

And please don't quote spam; that just gives us more to clean up. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Just like everyone said, the granite will be very slippery and dangerous if not treated properly. You can apply an invisible treatment to the granite that will not change its appearance but will greatly increase the traction of the floor by up to 400% when wet. These treatments are not coatings and will not wear off. We've done many commercial jobs with granite floors and before treatment the floors were very slippery. After treatment the floors were less slippery when when then they were dry and not treated. I hope that helped.

·
Business Owner
242 Posts
You will need Leather Textured granite, a linear drain, and a very good granite fabricator who can cut the granite to conform around the Drain.

The reason it has to be Leather texture granite or even natural texture granite is polished granite would be way to slippery for anyone to stand on which leads to liability issues:jester:.

You will want your drain at the end of the slab and be sure to slope your slab 1/4" in 12" to meet TCNA/ANSI standards.

This is some pretty tedious work make sure you have plenty of help when setting the slab!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts