Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Walsh Construction Svcs.
Joined
·
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off I'm new to this site and think it's great! LOT'S of information on all aspects of building and business!! :Thumbs:

Has anyone ever had this made for a job or ever tried mixing it yourself? Got a customer that needs approx. 300 LF of crown put up and wants the caulk to match the trim. Also wants me to caulk the crown, base and casing that he put up previously. If I get it made, there is a Laboratory charge and a minimum order of 3 cases.

Just trying to get some opinions and comments.

Thanks!
Lance
 

·
Pro Painter
Joined
·
2,314 Posts
Is he suggesting that you caulk it to the wall without painting afterwards? If the walls are wavy a thin line of white caulk is possible, but it's still going to look tacky where caulk runs out onto the wall. I am just assuming this will be with white crown, but you say custom color, so what color are we talking about, the wall color? Like, he has green walls, and wants his trim caulked with green caulk?

If the trim and crown are the same color of the wall, it makes a whole lot more sense why you need colored caulk. Be a little more specific. If you are indeed talking about trim that is a separate color from the walls, there's almost no way you're going to caulk it together and make it look good with either the wall or the trim colored caulk.....I wouldn't touch that without them letting me paint afterwards...even if it's all one color getting an exact matching caulk is going to be difficult depending on the color.

Hmm...wish I could help, but I gotta know more.

EDIT: I'd like to add that for a cheap wood putty you can mix sawdust from the wood with wood glue to have a perfect match. Un-related to this I believe though.......
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
39 Posts
Hey,
One thing I have done to get a color of caulk I need is to take the standard white tub caulking (Dap), not the caulking gun type, slice the bottom off, scrape the caulk out of the tube and use universal colorant to tint it to the color I need, stuff it back in, use duct tape to seal it off. Let a sample of it dry completely before putting it back in the tube so that you know you have a good color match. Hey it works.
RJS
 

·
Walsh Construction Svcs.
Joined
·
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I tried to tell him that he really didn't need colored caulk since the walls (light brown, ceiling (white) and crown (bone) are all different colors. Told him I usually nail up the crown and then caulk top and bottom. Then cut the paint in to tie it all together.

He said he understood, and my painting sub also told him the same thing, but he's still stuck on the custom color for some reason. :rolleyes:

I may just have to tell him flat out that custom color caulk for this application is just a waste of $$$.

Anyone ever use those mixing kits like Red Devil sells?
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
3,292 Posts
Luke's Dad said:
I tried to tell him that he really didn't need colored caulk since the walls (light brown, ceiling (white) and crown (bone) are all different colors. Told him I usually nail up the crown and then caulk top and bottom. Then cut the paint in to tie it all together.

He said he understood, and my painting sub also told him the same thing, but he's still stuck on the custom color for some reason. :rolleyes:

I may just have to tell him flat out that custom color caulk for this application is just a waste of $$$.

Anyone ever use those mixing kits like Red Devil sells?
Tell him it will cost 200 dollars a tube or more with a min. of 100 tube order. See how fast he changes his mind.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,858 Posts
I usually take the easy route, - - and match the paint to the caulk, - - rather than the other way around, - - but that being said, - - in my neck of the woods, my local tile shop sells about 16 different colors of caulk (to match their grout). Might be worth checking into.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,471 Posts
I just read about custom colored caulk. I'm pretty sure that it was in the latest TOH mag. I'll do a quick scan and see what I can find.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4 Posts
Luke's Dad said:
First off I'm new to this site and think it's great! LOT'S of information on all aspects of building and business!! :Thumbs:

Has anyone ever had this made for a job or ever tried mixing it yourself? Got a customer that needs approx. 300 LF of crown put up and wants the caulk to match the trim. Also wants me to caulk the crown, base and casing that he put up previously. If I get it made, there is a Laboratory charge and a minimum order of 3 cases.

Just trying to get some opinions and comments.

Thanks!
Lance
If everything is already painted or stained,transluscent silicone works fantastically well.Painters hate it ,I bet they have a response
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,471 Posts
If it is what I'm thinking of, paint will never stick to it. You're right, painters will hate you, me included. Nothing much worse than telling a customer that it will take XXX hrs. to rectify someone elses mistake.
 

·
Golden Hammer, Inc.
Joined
·
9 Posts
My paint store sells a caulking kit where the caulk is clear. You then add a measured amount of paint to it. It has this stirer that goes into the tube and mixes it up. Comes out REALLY nice. I think the kit cost about $30 and the tubes are about $4.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,299 Posts
4HUN said:
My paint store sells a caulking kit where the caulk is clear. You then add a measured amount of paint to it. It has this stirer that goes into the tube and mixes it up. Comes out REALLY nice. I think the kit cost about $30 and the tubes are about $4.
Any idea on the name of this product? or where can i find it online?

havent seen anything like this around.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
99 Posts
Hey Luke's dad, 1st welcome to the gang, 2nd there is an alternative to custom colorizing, it's called NP-1. It comes in a variety of colors. It is a lot more expensive than regular painters caulk, and is usually used for exterior purposes, but as long as you have to color match you should find what you need with the colors you described in your last post. Good luck.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1 Posts
I know it's a little late, but if anyone is still looking at this thread. There is a paint store here in south florida that makes it's own color caulk to what ever color you need. I think the name is centura.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1 Posts
Custom Color Caulk

Kampel Enterprises Inc. makes a product called ColorFlex that comes in 219 standard colors. If those colors don't suit you, custom color matching is available to match any color you could ever dream of. Their turn around time is great and I highly recommend thier product. It is a bit more expensive than normal caulk but the color is always spot on. Their products can be purchased at American Technologies Inc. webpage.
 
1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Top