Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
The Duke
14,746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This was a local job for me. My first time using melamine for the box material as well. Not a bad looking product, but heavy as hell. The edge banding went really easy. This was also a euro job, which has it's benefits and drawbacks.

Door panels are 3/8" thick mdf core. All bases have rollouts. Had a close call with the knob protruding on the angled sink base. That was another interesting part. I made a face frame just for that one cabinet, but it wasn't even a full cabinet. Just a deck on toe kick.

·
The Duke
14,746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I really like how tight and clean all the lines are, great work.
I'm kind of digging the euro stuff lately. I'm doing one right now, same thing except using ply for the boxes instead of melamine. I run the end panels flush with the face of the doors. It makes a much nicer looking cabinet IMO.

I painstakingly match and square up doors after glue up. I do that with any cabinets really. I like the lines tight, but not too tight. I've put half overlays behind me now. It's all tight reveals.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
One thing I like about custom cabinets versus putting together big box cabinets is the ability to keep the reveal around all the doors the same instead of having a greater space between adjoining cabinets. Last couple vanity cabinets I had made the customer wanted tight lines like you have and it really made a huge difference, we are doing them all like that now (when applicable of course).

·
Always Learning
8,782 Posts
I have installed a lot of the frameless Euro style. I really like how you brought the exposed panels out to the door face better than having it behind the door. I really like the curved toe too.

·
The Duke
14,746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Very clean look and execution!!!

How are you edge banding? and in particular at the radius/kick
Super, highly technical clothes iron :laughing:

Curved part, heat the tape up and carefully curve it around. You gotta work it. It takes a few times to make sure you don't get that flat spot in the middle of the curve. Very doable.

·
The Duke
14,746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The euro look and lines look fantastic. I'm curious about the matched grain patterns on adjacent doors. Is that a common design decision?
Book matching? It's common in furniture grade cabinets.

·
The Duke
14,746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I don't have (near) the experience that you do, but is that a common look for cherry? beautiful craftsmanship-extremely clean!
Yes. When you start milling rough sawn Cherry, it tends to be quite light blonde, tan. It darkens quickly. I use a CV that has some UV protection in it, but it still darkens. It slows it quite a bit, but it will most definitely darken.

Honestly, I really like what Cherry looks like. It has really nice and interesting grain patterns and a nice warmth to the color. I think it mellows perfectly.

·
The Duke
14,746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I meant how, mostly evident in the two doors to the left of the OTR, the doors kind of match each other.
It's book matching. It comes on the veneered panels like that already. You can end up with a fair amount of waste trying to get the veneers just right, but A1 in just about anything comes pre bookmatched. You just have to select through the pile some to get matching sheets of ply. 4 in this kitchen.

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
58,567 Posts
Looks nice Kent. Maybe you should think about doing this for a living. :jester:

1 - 20 of 50 Posts