Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had a customer contact me the other day looking for some custom built-ins. This isn't something that I have a ton of experience in but have dabbled a bit in, and is something I would like to do more of. It will most likely be built out of birch. And they would like some lighting through out. They also want an area with a built in desk with some over head cabinets. I am not as concerned about this part of it. Attached are a few pictures online that they really liked if anyone has any pointers on the best way to build something like this or a book I could pick up I would really appreciate it.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
24,787 Posts
Draw it out in detail. Either some type of CAD program or by hand.

You will become very familiar with what you are trying to build.

High quality materials & hardware are mandatory.

Hopefully, Leo, Gus & Kent or many of the other competent cabinet makers will be along to help you...:thumbsup:

Good Luck...

·
Livin the dream...
6,624 Posts
Looks like quite the project. I'm drooling.

How are you sitting on tools? That will dictate a lot in the way you build it. You can do a lot with a kreg jig but you'll probably be needing a router table for the stiles/rails on the doors. Its nice that they are simple with a flat panel.

What kind of finish? And are you doing it? That can be more challenging that the build is.

·
Radical Basement Dweller
29,402 Posts
Don't buy Chinese plywood.
Freshly sharpened saw blades

I did a 14' long one a few years ago and the walls were out over an inch at the top...had to re-build the side units.

Make sure whatever you build can get through their doorways.

Think things through many times.

·
Raawwwrrrr
1,792 Posts
Keep your reveals consistent and draw it out. Full size layouts will make things easier for you. That means you have to go onsite and draw it all out either on the floor (use tape) and or on wall. This method is fool proof.
Once you get the hang of layouts its just a matter of building boxes. :thumbsup:

Robie brings up good point as well. Check all walls and floor with a level/ laser. Especially if you are going to ceiling and between walls. You can always cheat crown, base, shoe but it can only get you so far without looking like a fubar. I just finished a home office (new construction). The builtin went to the ceiling. The ceiling was out almost an inch over 6 feet and the floor was out almost the same going the opposite way. What a blast. :censored: luckily I had a three piece crown to play with. :censored: I made up most of it by cheating alittle here and a little there. Couldn't notice when it was done.

here is a secret that will save you much grief:

invest in a track saw

·
Radical Basement Dweller
29,402 Posts
Allow lots of room for cables and power strip/surge protectors to get past shelves and such. The last one I did, I set the backing in 2" from the wall where the TV sits and put the access hole halfway up so no wires showed.

·
Radical Basement Dweller
29,402 Posts
Keep your reveals consistent and draw it out. Full size layouts will make things easier for you. That means you have to go onsite and draw it all out either on the floor (use tape) and or on wall. This method is fool proof.
Once you get the hang of layouts its just a matter of building boxes. :thumbsup:
Yup...the lumber yard I use has new, full sheets of 4x8 cardboard they will give me.

·
General Contractor
8,080 Posts
Had a customer contact me the other day looking for some custom built-ins. This isn't something that I have a ton of experience in but have dabbled a bit in, and is something I would like to do more of. It will most likely be built out of birch. And they would like some lighting through out. They also want an area with a built in desk with some over head cabinets. I am not as concerned about this part of it. Attached are a few pictures online that they really liked if anyone has any pointers on the best way to build something like this or a book I could pick up I would really appreciate it.
You can do this, but it all depends on the setup you have, customer budget and on the cabinet finish quality. If you have a shop and you can handle this project, you can do a precise layout in sketchup (even the free version). If you don't have a set up, I would order everything from a cabinet shop or your local kitchen supplier and just do a typical install.

Also if you haven't done much custom work, I wouldn't start practicing on theirs house if you not set up for it.

Good luck with the project :thumbsup:

·
Registered
683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for all the advice. What I'm thinking I might do on this one is sub it out and help the guy out to learn more about it. And get a better understanding or the process.

·
Registered
11,548 Posts
Thanks for all the advice. What I'm thinking I might do on this one is sub it out and help the guy out to learn more about it. And get a better understanding or the process.
An expensive proposition, there. I did my first...and last...custom one like that years ago. 14 linear feet x 8. The trouble was the owners were sure they didn't want doors on the base cabinets....until they changed their mind at the end. I would have proportioned the boxes differently and a couple other things if I had anticipated that. Too much time into it since I didn't have the right set-up (and still don't).

·
Artisan Carpentry
1,985 Posts
I've started building stuff like this with cable friendly features. The bottom cut outs are covered in trim on the inside. I don't just leave room behind, I make it easy to use.

The floor of the cabinet is good to run back to the wall, to keep cables from dropping too low, but then notch them for routing too.

I notch or grommet the dividers between cabinets too, so cables can run both in cabinets and behind them and round over the edges so cable pulling is easy.

You may want thicker, but hollow, torsion box designs for shelves, so cables can actually be run inside the shelves too. Room for recessed pucks inside the shelves also.

Attachments

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hopefully you have the correct tooling to handle a job of that magnitude. With all due respect, a job site tablesaw a handheld router and a Kreg jig won't cut it.

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Robie said:
Don't buy Chinese plywood. Freshly sharpened saw blades I did a 14' long one a few years ago and the walls were out over an inch at the top...had to re-build the side units. Make sure whatever you build can get through their doorways. Think things through many times.
I always and about to make it through the doorways, it fitting it into the space the gets me.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts