Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have researched many factory manufactured /DYI PVC type rail systems(e.g.Trex Transcend) .Unfortunately they look like garbage.In fact the majority of them look like *shiny fences around the deck perimeter*

Having done a ton of wood porches/railings in the traditional manner.....are there any options using AZEK- PVC type products?

1) ripping 5/4" stock into ballister/spindles w/o any future warping or structural issues?

2) using their 2" square stock material to build vertical rails?

3) constructing hollow newel posts using 1"x material with pocket screws?

Any ideas or pictures would help?

Thanks Again
Ferd

***This forum is tremendous!:thumbsup:

·
Working
4,127 Posts
Azek is not structural at all you will have a floppy rail for sure. You would have to wrap a structural hand rail in azek.

Azek does offer a handrail system.

Cole

·
Talking Head
5,388 Posts
Ferd, for what it's worth, I'm going to tell you what the deck guys on here tell me pretty regularly "Keep it simple, cash the check". They are right. Nobody is saying that you shouldn't build an amazing product but there are dozens of railing fabricators with hundreds of products. You really can't find ANYTHING that you think will look good? Mixing and matching opens those systems up to even more combinations.

If you answered "No" to the above then check out Intex. I'm not sure what the price is but I'd guess that it's way more than the standard composite systems but less than you would need to properly make a one-off composite railing system profitably.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ferd, for what it's worth, I'm going to tell you what the deck guys on here tell me pretty regularly "Keep it simple, cash the check". They are right. Nobody is saying that you shouldn't build an amazing product but there are dozens of railing fabricators with hundreds of products. You really can't find ANYTHING that you think will look good? Mixing and matching opens those systems up to even more combinations.

If you answered "No" to the above then check out Intex. I'm not sure what the price is but I'd guess that it's way more than the standard composite systems but less than you would need to properly make a one-off composite railing system profitably.
Thanks Ethan

I kind of figured that using AZEK for vertical or horizontal rails would not be good from a structural standpoint.Just wanted to hear the Pro's opinion

I'm still going make my own posts/wraps out of 1"x stock and then install the *best rail system * i can find in-between

Thanks Again

**EDIT Ethan.....the INTEX millwork site you linked is just the type of stuff I am looking for.I will be contacting them today!:thumbsup:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts