Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Pouring a walkway soon and would like to have curved corners, any ideas the best way to do this or materials to use to achieve this look.
Thanks in advance.

·
Super Moderator
28,859 Posts
Masonite floor protection for me.

Reactions: CrpntrFrk

·
Want to play a game?
4,522 Posts
Masonite or if it is a soft bend you can use 1x material.

·
Registered
5,855 Posts
I heard of using diesel fuel as a release agent for the forms. Is there any truth to that?

I've done some free concrete projects in the past for my mom (large patio, some side walk), and friends (side walk, small patio). But I've never used a release agent.

·
Want to play a game?
4,522 Posts
I heard of using diesel fuel as a release agent for the forms. Is there any truth to that?

I've done some free concrete projects in the past for my mom (large patio, some side walk), and friends (side walk, small patio). But I've never used a release agent.
Yes....but don't say that (diesel) on the job site with authorities around. It is always "form release". :laughing:

·
Registered
5,855 Posts
Yes....but don't say that (diesel) on the job site with authorities around. It is always "form release". :laughing:
Thanx.
Don't have to worry about me, concrete is not my forte'. I'm great with a small job, but I can never get the timing right on large pours, and saying that I haven't mastered the bull float would be an understatement. Lol

·
Contractor
7,667 Posts
I use the white plastic exterior trim material, "azek" or a less expensive alternative.
It works great as long as you don't have a tight radius, they clean up pretty good and can be used many times over.

·
Registered
5,855 Posts
I use the white plastic exterior trim material, "azek" or a less expensive alternative.
It works great as long as you don't have a tight radius, they clean up pretty good and can be used many times over.
I guess it would be similar to masonite as far as clean up, etc.

·
Registered
932 Posts
3/8" Smart trim/board works good for the not so tight radius as well. And, you can get several uses out of it as opposed to masonite, which is one and trash it.

·
Love me some Concrete
1,834 Posts
Masonite is what I use. I usually double it up though, have done pours where apparently the stakes were a bit too far apart and the weight of the concrete changed the nice radius a bit. So now I usually add a send layer of masonite and that has really hepled keep the sharp looking radius.

Form release is awesome, once you use it, you will always use it. It helps set the edges better, less open pockets I've noticed.

We used Diesel before, but the forms always stink, customers have complained about the stink and to slab tends to have the odor for awhile. I was told once, if you are serious about concrete, then be serious about the trade. Always use a cure/sealer and form release on every pour. It does help with keeping the form lumber in better shape and lasting longer. I usually spray it down the night before the pour to get a good soak on new form lumber and then a quick hit right before the truck arrives.

·
Registered
2,651 Posts
I use those as well, much easier to work with, a bit more expensive but you can make it back by being able to use them more.

If they make it through a season or two though they tend to randomly snap.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts