Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Keeping it under 120
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

New to the board, but it's a lot of fun looking at all the different systems, tips and tricks that you guys work with.

I'm the VP of a small design / build company...we do wooden roller coasters exclusively.

Thought I'd post a few pics of our current project in the Netherlands. It's a "Racing" coaster with two tracks, so trains can compete for the fastest time. It'll be the third racing coaster we've built.

Enjoy

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
11,929 Posts
VERY COOL!
I'll bet your liability insurance is a little pricey.
Do you get to test it out yourself?:clap:

Wooden coasters are the best!

·
Keeping it under 120
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
RS- Of course I get to test them! That's one of the best parts of the job...

Usually, I'm an office jockey 7 out of 8 weeks. But when the job is winding down, I'm on-site for about the last 3-4 weeks doing inspections, making changes, giving the crew someone to make fun of. I've even been known to harness up, pick up a tool and climb every now and then.

The first run around the track is always hair-raising, but I'm usually riding within 10 or 15 runs.

I used to be an egotistical young punk, and I would always insist that me & my boss were the very first human riders (I'm the VP, he's president). But the more jobs I've worked, I decided that the crew really deserves to have some kind of bragging rights since they're usually the ones who donate copious amounts of blood (REAL blood) sweat and tears. So now my boss and I pick 2 of the crew that really stood out for the whole job and let them have first crack. I usually get on after everyone else on the crew had a go.

The most fun is the control system commissioning...we've had nights that go from 8pm to 5am doing nothing but running laps, and we're all having a good time while the control programmer is doing his tweaks.

·
Super Moderator
11,929 Posts
RS- Of course I get to test them! That's one of the best parts of the job...

Usually, I'm an office jockey 7 out of 8 weeks. But when the job is winding down, I'm on-site for about the last 3-4 weeks doing inspections, making changes, giving the crew someone to make fun of. I've even been known to harness up, pick up a tool and climb every now and then.

The first run around the track is always hair-raising, but I'm usually riding within 10 or 15 runs.

I used to be an egotistical young punk, and I would always insist that me & my boss were the very first human riders (I'm the VP, he's president). But the more jobs I've worked, I decided that the crew really deserves to have some kind of bragging rights since they're usually the ones who donate copious amounts of blood (REAL blood) sweat and tears. So now my boss and I pick 2 of the crew that really stood out for the whole job and let them have first crack. I usually get on after everyone else on the crew had a go.

The most fun is the control system commissioning...we've had nights that go from 8pm to 5am doing nothing but running laps, and we're all having a good time while the control programmer is doing his tweaks.
I think you have my vote for most glamorous specific trade here.
Most of us don't get more than the satisfaction of looking at our handiwork. (every once in awhile the women cry because they love their new kitchens- which is cool)

You get to RIDE your handiwork! I'm truly jealous!

·
I like Green things
23,001 Posts
I think you have my vote for most glamorous specific trade here.
Most of us don't get more than the satisfaction of looking at our handiwork. (every once in awhile the women cry because they love their new kitchens- which is cool)

You get to RIDE your handiwork! I'm truly jealous!
You are not doing it right then.
I always make sure I am the first person to take a ride on the ho's new toilet.:laughing:

·
Registered
4 Posts
I just wonder how long the maximum ages of wooden roller coaster, since wood material has limitation to condition of exposed weather....

·
TerryN
10 Posts
This is great work.I didn't realise that they still made wooden roller coasters.I remember the one at Luna Park in Sydney as a kid and if I'm remembering correctly it was of wood.Do you do this exclusively or isn't there enough of this type of work to keep you going?Anyway,it must be very interesting work.Regards Terry

1 - 20 of 21 Posts