Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Builder/Remodeler
3,818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We're currently working on a master bath as part of a whole house renovation that will feature a curbless shower. The system is unique in that it features a composite pan inset into the floor, with porcelain bricks that create the actual standing surface.

I'll be posting pics as we go about the install and I'd love to hear your feedback, as the waterproofing is likely to be a PITA.

I've installed a lot of LACAVA fixtures, vanities, faucets, valves, etc.--most of it's very beautiful, for the most part, but not very well engineered. Their documentation and technical specs are pretty minimal.

The distributor tells me they just sold a bunch to a condo project in New York so if any of you have worked with this system--I'd love to hear how things went for you.

Here are photos of the finished product from their literature:

Here's the product as it arrived to us:

·
Paul
4,120 Posts
Wow, looks pretty cool. Definitely document this with some pics during the install. Keep up up to speed on the pros and cons.

·
Builder/Remodeler
3,818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm definitely not excited about waterproofing up to that plastic pan--but half the fun in building things is doing something out of the ordinary.

This week we framed the shower pan recess in the floor. I also had my steel guy fabricate a stainless frame that finishes the rim around the pan and gives me something to waterproof to--and a better edge for the small format glass mosaic floor tile.

·
4,617 Posts
Schulter Kerdi is my recommendation. I just can't figure out how to tie a drain into it.

I think I would set the drain below that silly ass pan and ceramic stuff. I'm not sure you have enough room under it now, you might have to reframe under it to do use the drain.

·
Builder/Remodeler
3,818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Update:

Subfloor framed down to accept mortar bed and pan.

Floor backers down--grey Dens will receive 24"x24" porcelain--blue is higher build for glass mosaic tile.

We'll Kerdi over the stainless frame with epoxy--there is a slope to the floor bordering the pan which doesn't show up in the photo. The crest of the slope to the rest of the floor is where the shower glass enclosure will land.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Pretty Fu#*in Sweet.
I'm curious.
How did you waterproof/protect from the ovespray that may affect the areas behind the shower and between the shower and tub?

·
Builder/Remodeler
3,818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The entire "U" (glass back wall and porcelain side walls) and floor is Kerdi.

There is a glass enclosure being made for the shower area which will partition along the long side of the tub, wrap the end of the shower area and return into the wall where you see the vertical pencil marks.

·
Registered
5,425 Posts
Very interesting Chris:thumbsup:

PS, i would hate to have to be the houskeeper that gets the job of lifting those pieces out every 6 months for cleaning. G

1 - 20 of 45 Posts