Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My apologies to everyone disjointed about my lack of protocol concerning the "DO's & DON'Ts" here on this forum.
I do understand where you are comming from.

I am not a bricklayer...YES, it is told as such in my profile but that was my mistake when registering as that was the topic inquired about. I'll correct this.
As for having others fulfil my duties about pricing, again, incorrect. I have many prices but are somewhat stunned by the difference in them. I had been told about this site some time back and never used it. Had it been entirely for my acheiving quotes/prices on every material and/or labour cost I would quit my job but thats not possible as it is a family business.

Yes, I am still trying to figure out why the prices vary so much for the cultured stone. If it was for brick/block/stone or other I am quite familiar with the going rates for both residential and ICI. (Please do not hesitate to write me if you require assistance).

I never expect anything for free...Take a buck.....ya owe it back twice over usually.
petej

edit: I'd like to add that if there is someone in need of pricing on materials/labour costs for any phase in this industry and I have the time..Ive no problem assisting you.

·
Registered
295 Posts
I still don’t understand what you are asking. You will find that rates for similar work will vary by location, quality of work, overhead costs for different companies, installation methods, materials used, etc.

You should either physically go look at the contractors work, or ask them questions to be sure you are comparing apples to apples.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank-You CaptainSLS.

...I made the decision last night based entirely on the contractors previous work which I viewed.

They were not the lowest nor the highest bid but everything ÇLICKED'
1)good work
2)proffessional in appearance and manner
3)decent equipment
4)holder of proper insurances
5) experienced understanding of invoicing proceedures when completed for this size of project.
6)No need to babysit financially through the job.
Rare for bricky's and roofers for the most part Ive found.

Thanks again to all those that contributed from the other post.
As anyone knows, when your busy youve only the time for what you must complete at hand and rarely time for anything else but I'll probably post at times because as Ive been skimming through this forum there has been a few things that have tweaked my interest.
peterj

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey new here on this site and been skimming through learning a lot from all you guys. I am a learning bricky in the trade after 30 years and counting,otherwise I wouldn't be on this site. I am still learning to find my way around on this site being somewhat nonliterate to these things. Have not posted a question yet. Hope I am not breaking any protocol her but as to Peterj's question I will give him as straight out an answer as possible.

There are so many different types and manufacturers of cultured stone and ways of using it. My rule of thumb as a start off point is $10.00 per sq ft., Labour only Adjusting accordingly as to the actual difficultty on the specifics of that particular job.

This is in what is known as the GTA, southern Ontario market. What pricing might be pertinent in other markets is only pertinent in other markets. Then again I don't get every job I price but I manage to make a living from the ones that I do.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Ok this has been bugging me since this last post, talk about a hypocrite,

"6)No need to babysit financially through the job.

Need to babysit??? Every time I do a job for most of you so called builders you expect me to finance your project for 60-90-120 + days from the start, you don't seem to understand that the sub-trades are not banks, and you also feel that its your right that you can use their money without paying interest or going through a process to borrow it. If you don't have the money to do the job then you shouldn't be doing it in the first place. It is in fact the other way 'round I have to constantly babysit the builder financially through the project and often long after its finished.:censored::furious: Oh and that "you dont get paid until we get paid " clause has got to end.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Yes you are right and I apologize to all the good g.c's out there and I know a lot, but Its an ongoing process of sniffing out the deadbeats and dropping them off the payroll.

·
Registered
321 Posts
cultured 10$ sq/ft is average for labour...can go anywhere from 7-14$ depending on contractor...most of the cheaper prices are from labours that are now bricklayers apparently
as for payment will not do a job for a new client unless they pay or provide material up front and payment is made upon conclusion of job...no exceptions

·
Mason
44 Posts

Need to babysit??? Every time I do a job for most of you so called builders you expect me to finance your project for 60-90-120 + days from the start, you don't seem to understand that the sub-trades are not banks, and you also feel that its your right that you can use their money without paying interest or going through a process to borrow it. If you don't have the money to do the job then you shouldn't be doing it in the first place. It is in fact the other way 'round I have to constantly babysit the builder financially through the project and often long after its finished.:censored::furious: Oh and that "you dont get paid until we get paid " clause has got to end.
thats the way alot of jobs r done here in the Chicago area. never liked it and if u questioned the builders or gc they act surprised!!

·
General Contractor
8,081 Posts
That is why I always said, stick to CT anual pricing of Tree Fitty PSF, can never go wrong :thumbsup:

·
Nouveau Eccentric
2,100 Posts

Homeowners:

Love your work! :thumbup:

Happy to pay! :clap:

·
Registered
73 Posts
Absolutely. I never have a problem with homeowners, If they cant afford to get it done then they wont have the work done. The drawback is the constant pricing you have to do to get the (homeowner) work. Thats why I like to mix it up .

·
Registered
49 Posts

I have to agree with you.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts