Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Vendor
6,347 Posts
It is hard to see, but the last stone on either side of the door is notched for the jack arch (which is not a functional jack arch, it is at the wrong angle and too short). That is just a decorative arch to fit the given area.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Off topic just a little, but what is the blue substrate that the stone is being stuck to in the picture? I might live in bubble or something, because I've never seen that before.
That is a trowel-on waterproofing and crack isolation membrane from Mapei and a galvanized metal lath on top of it. Not off topic at all, amigo.

We used the blue stuff (Mapeilastic) on this floor to isolate any cracks...and I also installed this 1800's white marble fireplace surround in the background. I also removed the fireplace from another home 400 miles away and had to move it from shop to shop for around 5 years until it made it's final destination.

Hey, "atmasonry", have you posted any pictures of your work yet?

I'm hearing crickets over here.

Also...water tends to evaporate from the edges of cultured stone after installation, so the finished product looks different than what it looks like during installation. I heard a quote once..." Only women and fools question a cultured stone installation before it has cured". Not PC, but applies in some cases. Look to the right of the second photo:

Attachments

·
Registered
15 Posts
I first need to have made fifteen posts before I can share picture with you, Thanks. I am kind of an "amateur" at this now. LOL.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I recently did some work for a guy who lives in a house big enough for three or four families. No telling what he paid for the "masonry" work. Looks great from the road but up close, if it was mine I would feel cheated. I don't mean to anger you, but am just sharing my thoughts. Open rebuke is better than secret love after all.

Atm

·
Registered
9 Posts
grout bag is the only way

Hey. I just finished a job that was 12,000 square feet and every inch was grouted with Marshal grout bags. I agree with one of the other guys who said not to twist. I fold in the corners and the roll the bag down continually. Also, make sure your mud is rich enough otherwise the water will seperate from the mud and the bag will constantly clog. If you have to, add a shovel of type N to your mortar. Make sure you mix that up dry first.

Attachments

21 - 27 of 27 Posts