Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if anyone has seen cultured stone put over 1" blueboard. There is no OSB or plywood under the blueboard. Just the 1" blue nailed to the studs and taped off with tyvek tape. I was wondering if this was safe to do because of the weight issue. Usually when I hang my wire mesh I use 1" roofing nails and nail the bejeezus out of it to plywood or OSB. I'm afraid that just nailin this stuff to the studs isnt going to provide adequate support for the weight of scratchcoat and stone once it is all put on. Has anyone seen this before or heard of it being done. I have my reserves of doing it this way but... Any input would be appreciated. It originally was going to be brick but they said they couldnt afford it. Then 3 weeks later the GC said they were switching to cultured. More money per sq for material and labor. Figure that one out.

·
Registered
378 Posts
6stringmason said:
I was wondering if anyone has seen cultured stone put over 1" blueboard. There is no OSB or plywood under the blueboard. Just the 1" blue nailed to the studs and taped off with tyvek tape. I was wondering if this was safe to do because of the weight issue. Usually when I hang my wire mesh I use 1" roofing nails and nail the bejeezus out of it to plywood or OSB. I'm afraid that just nailin this stuff to the studs isnt going to provide adequate support for the weight of scratchcoat and stone once it is all put on. Has anyone seen this before or heard of it being done. I have my reserves of doing it this way but... Any input would be appreciated. It originally was going to be brick but they said they couldnt afford it. Then 3 weeks later the GC said they were switching to cultured. More money per sq for material and labor. Figure that one out.
The instructions for cultured stone call for lathe to be nailed 6"o.c. with 1" penetration into studs max 16" o.c. vertically, 1" blue blueboard should be fine. It is possible to install over open studs just as stucco is,just need to apply 1/2 to 3/4 scratch coat as in stucco applications. Why 1" blueboard seems like overkill.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Need to correct myself,was thinking of blueboard used for skimcaot plaster. You need to nail lathe 4"o.c. to studs spaced 16" max o.c.,then apply scratch coat as stated . Open studs and insulation board are treated the same with cultured stone,unless insul. board is installed over solid backing then follow instructions for rigid backwall .

1 - 3 of 3 Posts