Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is/are the best tolls to use to cutting ceiling and notch floor joists to run wire from one side of the wall to another side?

Thank you in advance.
Louis

·
Repair/Remodeling Tech.
1,645 Posts
It's against code to "notch" floor joists or studs for 120/240V wiring. The wire has to be 1 1/4" away from either side, which on a 2x4 that's pretty much in the center. At any rate, you can't notch for a wire and cover it with sheetrock, if that's what you're asking.

·
DGR,IABD
9,683 Posts
I've never needed to pay a toll to fish wires. :cheesygri

If there's an attic above, run the wires up there. If there's a room above, pry up a floorboard or piece of plywood and drill through the joists if running perpendicular. If running parallel, I use fiberglass fish sticks or a piece of stiff #4 solid ground wire to fish from A to B.

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
I just did that when putting in a new bthrm fan. I cut rectangular pieces out of the ceiling between every second joist (use a studfinder) with the tool that drywallers use for cutting elec. boxes out (Zipquick, or the like). Save the pieces. Reach in with a drill and drill your holes for the wire at the center of the joists. You risk drilling into existing wires so you might want to put an access every joist, that way you can see both sides. Pull your wire. Slide a piece of plywood into the hole and screw it down over the opening, then screw the drywall piece back into place. Tape, mud, sand. Now you're an electrician and a drywaller.

·
Registered
15 Posts
reveivl said:
I just did that when putting in a new bthrm fan. I cut rectangular pieces out of the ceiling between every second joist (use a studfinder) with the tool that drywallers use for cutting elec. boxes out (Zipquick, or the like). Save the pieces. Reach in with a drill and drill your holes for the wire at the center of the joists. You risk drilling into existing wires so you might want to put an access every joist, that way you can see both sides. Pull your wire. Slide a piece of plywood into the hole and screw it down over the opening, then screw the drywall piece back into place. Tape, mud, sand. Now you're an electrician and a drywaller.

I find it easier to use a 6" hole saw for the access hole

·
Registered
378 Posts
jproffer said:
It's against code to "notch" floor joists or studs for 120/240V wiring. The wire has to be 1 1/4" away from either side, which on a 2x4 that's pretty much in the center. At any rate, you can't notch for a wire and cover it with sheetrock, if that's what you're asking.
Don't nail plates allow for less than 1 1/4",or does this only apply to piping.

·
DGR,IABD
9,683 Posts
bergenbldr said:
Don't nail plates allow for less than 1 1/4",or does this only apply to piping.
Sure, but the IRC spanning lumber notching rules are so strict, you wouldn't dare drill closer than 2" to the edge of a joist without your attorney standing by. Remember, the NEC only required holes to be at least 1-1/4" away from the edge of lumber to not need a nail plate. However, the IRC requires that joists be drilled at least 2" away from the edge to count as a "bored hole" and not a "notch".

·
Registered
378 Posts
mdshunk said:
Sure, but the IRC spanning lumber notching rules are so strict, you wouldn't dare drill closer than 2" to the edge of a joist without your attorney standing by. Remember, the NEC only required holes to be at least 1-1/4" away from the edge of lumber to not need a nail plate. However, the IRC requires that joists be drilled at least 2" away from the edge to count as a "bored hole" and not a "notch".
Does the 2" rule apply to vertical lumber,a 2x4 stud could only not drilled or it would count as a notch .

·
DGR,IABD
9,683 Posts
bergenbldr said:
Does the 2" rule apply to vertical lumber,a 2x4 stud could only not drilled or it would count as a notch .
No. The 2" rule is for joists. The IRC permits holes within 5/8" to the edge of a stud to still count as a hole and not a notch. If you drilled that cose for a wire, you'd have an NEC violation unless you nailed on a nail plate. The NEC requires at least 1-1/4" back for all lumber. The IRC requires 2" for joists and 5/8" for studs. Are we having fun yet?

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
Bob, I find it easier (at least with my drywall skills) to refinish a square hole. Doubtless it's faster to cut a round one. Rich

·
Custom Builder
4,406 Posts
Bob said hole saw Rich, can't get any quicker than that.

With a flash patch a 6" round hole can be gone in about 30 min, including paint.

Bob

·
Registered
15 Posts
I use the cut out. screw it back to the 2x with a couple of drywall screws and tape. if your in a hurry use 20 min. mud.
30 min. to finish including paint is great my hats off to you

·
DGR,IABD
9,683 Posts
On the odd occasion where I need to make a hole that needs patched, I just point to it and tell the homeowner, "you'll have to get someone to patch that for you". That is much quicker than 30 minutes for me. :cheesygri

·
Custom Builder
4,406 Posts
If you use the same holesaw, cut most the way through some scrap from the back, brake away the ouside of the hole, leave some face paper, no tape needed, Flash Patch, and it fits right in snug because the width of the holesaw gives the perfect play.

Bob
bob said:
I use the cut out. screw it back to the 2x with a couple of drywall screws and tape. if your in a hurry use 20 min. mud.
30 min. to finish including paint is great my hats off to you

·
Registered
6,858 Posts
mdshunk said:
On the odd occasion where I need to make a hole that needs patched, I just point to it and tell the homeowner, "you'll have to get someone to patch that for you". That is much quicker than 30 minutes for me. :cheesygri
Long as you don't complain next time when they call the 'second guy' first!! :cheesygri

·
DGR,IABD
9,683 Posts
Tom R said:
Long as you don't complain next time when they call the 'second guy' first!! :cheesygri
I've waked away from jobs like that. Customer says "We had a room addition put in. The drywall's all done, but we thought that it should have some lights a receptacles now." I say, "no thanks." What are people thinking sometimes? Or, people are rennovating an old house and wait until they've rewallpaperd the whole place and then decide to have it rewired. GRRRR....

·
Registered
6,858 Posts
mdshunk said:
I've waked away from jobs like that. Customer says "We had a room addition put in. The drywall's all done, but we thought that it should have some lights a receptacles now." I say, "no thanks." What are people thinking sometimes? Or, people are rennovating an old house and wait until they've rewallpaperd the whole place and then decide to have it rewired. GRRRR....
Yeah, - - strangely enough, - - it does seem to happen a lot, - - but that's when the word 'extra' comes in handy. :cheesygri

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
Talk to me re. this flash patch, Bob. Rich

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
No doubt on the hole saw, Talk to me re. this flash patch, Bob. Rich
oops, sorry

·
Custom Builder
4,406 Posts
OK,
Drywall face paper = side A
Drywall back paper = side B

With a good utility knife, cut your hole exact on side B and score down most of the way through the drywall.

Cut your hole about 2 inches bigger all the way around on side A just cutting through the paper good.

Flip back to side B and cut from the exact line out in all directions.

Brake and seperate drywal from paper on the ouside of your beautiful new flash patch.

I hope that helps, if not maybe I'll cut you one and upload the images after church today. No promises though, Judy wants me to help her paint the guest bedroom.

Bob

1 - 20 of 21 Posts