Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings. Here's the deal. Bidding on a job to run a 60 amp feeder from a house to gate controller area and set a 60 amp Sub-Panel. Future draw shouldn't exceed 30 amps max. Voltage drop was about 4%. It's a 650 ft run.
Personally, I would rather run #2 Al quadplex and bury 2.5ft deep. My total cost of trench and wire $2,100.00. If I do 1.25" Pvc Sched 40 and 3-#4 Cu's and 1-#6Cu (Competitors bid) it would be 4,570.00 plus several more hours labor. Question is how many of you bid on Cu and why for something that long. How many Al and why. People around my area are still freaked out when you say your running Aluminum. It's hard to explain to them it's used everywhere. I could even throw in a 2 pole 60amp GFCI breaker if they want some extra safety. Does anyone other than puco make runs that long in Cu anymore??

·
#1 stunner
576 Posts
We always use aluminum in UG feeders, I actually have never seen CU ran to a service panel or sub panel that covered any significant distance in residential applications: but im just a kid.

·
Registered
4,732 Posts
Do people think that all those poco lines hanging from the poles are copper?

Tell them al is safer cause the crackheads won't rip it out:laughing:

·
ampman
783 Posts
i make a good living replacing feeders that are al. with no conduit

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
really

explain in further detail. You talking landscapers digging to deep cutting into them or ones buried to shallow or just rocks and stuff damaging them in settling? Or something else. Do tell

·
ampman
783 Posts
explain in further detail. You talking landscapers digging to deep cutting into them or ones buried to shallow or just rocks and stuff damaging them in settling? Or something else. Do tell
usaully a nick in the insu. during install, or a shovel hitting it, seems like the soil around here eats insu. plus people using the wrong wire for burial

·
Head Grunt
3,270 Posts
usaully a nick in the insu. during install, or a shovel hitting it, seems like the soil around here eats insu. plus people using the wrong wire for burial
X2, most guys around here dont bother with conduit which IMO is wrong. Too much freezing and frost heaving driving rocks up into the wire which will compromise the insulation. Even if the wire is compromised in conduit at least the wire can be pulled through and much easier replaced. Very rarely do i ever use Copper, 99% of everything i do is Alum. Around here anything beyond 500' requires a transformer by the POCO. Even the POCO only uses Alum. wire.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
underground

out where I am it's usually very nice dirt/clay with no rocks at all. We usually put it in 2.5 ft deep to be safe. Never had a callback yet. We have repaired a few as well. One was where they dug a basketball base and just cut one phase. Others were mostly from landscapers and one was the wire was nicked from a big rock butted up against it slowing cutting it over the years. I could definately see in other areas with rock that would be the best plan.

·
Banned
490 Posts
I run aluminum. 24" deep minumum, in sch. 40 to full depth on each end, and place a warning tape in the trench. I think people are skittish about AL because of the termination issue with switches and receptacles. It is a kneejerk reaction.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts