Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

21 - 40 of 149 Posts

·
Champion Thread Derailer
1,228 Posts
Wait just a minute here; we have an ignore list? :clap:

NO, just kidding, I think.

In all seriousness, Jaydee, I think the type of behavior you're referring to goes on within most any internet forum; however, some folks are "probably" more abrasive/snippy/caviler/etc because they are NOT communicating face to face. On the other hand, some folks are just how they are, and I've learned (well, actually still learning) to simply try my best to accept them for who they are and keep my feet moving (so to speak), as it just isn't worth the additional annoyance/blood-pressure-boiler.

Many folks are just very busy most days and by the time we're done, the last thing we want is a sparring match. In fact, many here much prefer a cold, frosty beverage of our choice and a nice chair by the pool.

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
Welcome and settle in---there are usually several good posts before a chest pounding troll wrecks the thread--

You will soon learn when a thread is finished --the same self praising fools spoil thread after thread--

That's just the way this place goes-----Mike----

·
Renaissance Man
6,818 Posts
As long as you don't talk about fake stone in the masonry section, you'll be fine.

And what is this strange reward points thingy I see now?
You get a free bag of lick'em rocks after 20,000pts. Just gotta pay for shipping so I'm told :laughing:

·
I'm The BOSS
1,904 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
I guess:

The reason why I posted this was to give a new guys perspective.

I read this forum after my work is done. Trying to see what's going on in other parts of the country.

My point was, that as we all do, we start reading a thread because we're interested in the topic. We either follow along and/or ,add our two cents into the mix.
But, when the disagreements take away from the thread context and the original poster disappears due to the attacks. Well, It make the whole thread a waste of time. Like watching a movie and leaving before the bad guy gets it.

·
water re-locater
7,511 Posts
From the perspective of another new guy who joined same month as the OP I think there is the perfect blend of ball busting and serious exchange of different ideas and suggestions...I'm sure a lot of us are hands on guys and would probably be some chop busting if we were working on the same job or ran into one another at the supply house..Want to see some angry chit? read the comments section after a political article...

·
Maker of fine kindling
6,199 Posts
Report a post if you think it's out of line.

Passionate posts can easily be misunderstood for abusive if that is what you are looking for. Texts, emails, and Internet forums are notorious for being misunderstood. Personally I try to give the benefit of the doubt that there are good intentions with a post until there is some name calling or the like.

Relax, have fun, bust some balls from time to time, and share knowledge. It can all happen simultaneously. We just need to let some things roll off our back.

Most people here are good eggs. The rotten ones will leave sooner or later, one way or another ;-)

·
I'm The BOSS
1,904 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
I guess the point I was trying to make and bring up was.
That if someone has a problem and they ask us for advise. They're already in a tough spot. They're already beating themselves up.
But, we as a group, bounce on them,

I came here looking for a better contract template due to an issue I had.
I found a great one in the form section, Thanks

I agree that most forums are or can be abusive and that's life. But, if someone posts here, can't we just help them if we can and move on. Personal attacks is what is not needed. This is a great site, the info and knowledge by the members is incredible. I'm from a small community and there are good contractors and bad contractors, just like everywhere. I've been in business a long time and will help who ever asks for it.

When a thread is 15 pages and half of them are OFF topic it just makes it a pain to read. MY POINT. My opinion.

·
Hair Splitter
18,322 Posts
From the perspective of another new guy who joined same month as the OP I think there is the perfect blend of ball busting and serious exchange of different ideas and suggestions...I'm sure a lot of us are hands on guys and would probably be some chop busting if we were working on the same job or ran into one another at the supply house..Want to see some angry chit? read the comments section after a political article...
My carpenter and I butt heads every day about something. We are man enough to know that it's just a job and not personal. At the end of the day we are both better for it, the job is closer to perfection and we are really good friends out side of work.

People have to stop being so dang sensitive.

·
Registered
26,133 Posts
But, when the disagreements take away from the thread context and the original poster disappears due to the attacks. Well, It make the whole thread a waste of time. Like watching a movie and leaving before the bad guy gets it.
OPs tend to disappear once they get the info they want - even ones who have been around a while. A lot of times you have to bump their post and ask how it turned out.

·
Registered
17,271 Posts
That if someone has a problem and they ask us for advise. They're already in a tough spot. They're already beating themselves up.

I came here looking for a better contract template due to an issue I had.
I found a great one in the form section, Thanks

I agree that most forums are or can be abusive and that's life. But, if someone posts here, can't we just help them if we can and move on. Personal attacks is what is not needed. This is a great site, the info and knowledge by the members is incredible. I'm from a small community and there are good contractors and bad contractors, just like everywhere. I've been in business a long time and will help who ever asks for it.

When a thread is 15 pages and half of them are OFF topic it just makes it a pain to read. MY POINT. My opinion.
see..the ones that ''bounce'' are the ones that haven't been here very long..when it goes off topic..well thats usually the regulars..bonding..:whistling

·
Super Moderator
24,063 Posts
I get your point, but the other side is that sometimes that's exactly what's called for. The "No student left behind" approach is a great feel-good for kids in school, but here we deal with real life after school.

When you have kids, a mortgage and maybe employees, your actions and decisions have very real consequences. If someone is being a bonehead, who does it benefit to handle him with kid gloves?

21 - 40 of 149 Posts