Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I installed a new water heater about 2 years ago, (Whirlpool 6th sense 9 yr gas) about the same time the city installed a new meter. Since then I have been plagued with these blue-green crystals clogging my faucets. They originate at the water heater.

I have to admit that for about a year I had a couple of galvanized connectors on the heater between the copper lines and the dielectric ht nipples. They have been replaced last year with brass fittings. I also had a leak at the shut-off above the heater and on one of the brass connectors because of teflon tape. That drip corroded the inlet nipple on the outside, so I replaced it, using pipe dope this time.:thumbsup:

I've drained the heater twice in the last 2 days, flushed at least another 50 gallons through it, and could go down right now and get a teaspoon full in 15-20 gallons. The crystals do not dissolve in vinegar.

I'm on city water, which is still pretty hard around here. I don't have a water softener, but I do have a passive recirc line to the far end of the house. It isn't working very well and I suspect it may be clogged.The crystals show up on that end more than the faucets directly above the heater. The house was built in 1981.

I don't know if there is a grounding issue with the electrical or what. I know I have an outside grounding rod by the meter. there is no ground where the supply comes through the floor, but there is a ground jumper around the meter.

I have a call in to the water plant and city plumbing inspector, but no reply yet.

Sorry this is long-winded, but I'm trying to give as much background as I can.

·
Registered
819 Posts
never seen green crystals

Whirlpool is a crap/generic water heater....

buy an inline filter, but it after the water heater and see what it picks up

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Went out for a while, so I drained it while I was gone. Virtually nothing in the pan. Then I ran about 20 gallons or so through it cold and this is what I got. About 3 tablepoons.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No softener now, but I think it will have one soon. Waiting for lab results from the city water dept.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts