Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 106 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know what crowning is? No not the crowning involved with child delivery either, LOL

Do you crown when framing?

I've asked many a framer.... my favorite answer, after explaining what crowning was "If its that bad I'll send the whole lift back to the lumber yard and get better" I still hang my head in total disbelief to this day.

I'm curiuos
WDA

·
Registered
269 Posts
WDA said:
Does anyone know what crowning is? No not the crowning involved with child delivery either, LOL

Do you crown when framing?

I've asked many a framer.... my favorite answer, after explaining what crowning was "If its that bad I'll send the whole lift back to the lumber yard and get better" I still hang my head in total disbelief to this day.

I'm curiuos
WDA
Besides being curious, you're also workin behind the wrong framers. Was this supposed to me a joke thread?

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
WDA, I'm curious too. I can't make a bit of sense out of your post.

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
I think this came up a couple of months ago - the process of examining the wall studs and orienting them so any crowns are all facing the same direction. Remember the woman that was building her own house and had the wavy siding issue? It was quite a long thread.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It's a fun thread ;).

Do you know what it is? Goes right along with cupping, chinking and bark marks (wane).

Do you do it? Do you even care?

Ask the drywallers and the 24" center folk's customers if it's a problem?

Like I said I'm curious, for many reasons :)

WDA

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
housedocs said:
Besides being curious, you're also workin behind the wrong framers.
Unfortunately, they are everywhere, very few care around here...its a flippin
joke what so many alleged experience framers actually do / know. It's the drywallers, finish carpenters, painters, flooring trades that are supposed to correct these problems??????

·
Registered
2 Posts
Crowning should be second nature to any quality concious framer. You are then in the habit of inspecting all of the lumber you use in your project. If you werent inspecting it, imagine all the crap that would pass and cause trouble later. I crown wall studs up for the purpose of having all the stud ends lining up on a level surface for nailing plates on. crowning joist material "should go without saying in a a proffessional forum" is critically important to structure. unless I am framing an exterior wall upside down for convenience, I crown everything up.
The uplift on a floor w/o crowning up the joists would be awful...

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Rusty Nails,

Well for a 2400sqft colonial I always figured about 1.5 hours, still nothing. But we marked all the studs with triple lines crown side up. If not, after everyone got done stumbling around 1/2 of them were nailed in wrong anyway, LOL

This crowning thing has always amazed me with the responses; from being insulted that someone even had to ask....to whats that mean. Speaks volumes as to who your talking to and how they view themselves / the industry.

Cheers
WDA

·
Registered
52 Posts
WDA-

I think you got the responses you did here because this forum is not filled with hacks. Your post might as well have started off with..........

"Who nails? And I am not talking about your wife. LOL"

·
Registered
269 Posts
WDA said:
Unfortunately, they are everywhere, very few care around here...its a flippin
joke what so many alleged experience framers actually do / know. It's the drywallers, finish carpenters, painters, flooring trades that are supposed to correct these problems??????
Of course we examine for crown, cup, barking, etc, always figure a min. 10% of any unit of lumber will be unusable unless you take the time to go pull it yourself. As far as framers not caring, some are better than others, some are so bad I wouldn't hang board behind them.

About 3 yrs back we drywalled a small apartment bldg, was framed up by a real bunch of winners! These guys didn't use a tape or a square, measured things with a string with knots tied at specific intervals. We ended up having to angle sheets in nearly every room in the house. Real PIA, charged an extra dime a foot to hang it.

Unfortunately you're right about there being a lack of quality, unless you're subbing for a builder specializing in custom high end homes it's a fact of life you gotta deal with.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
CogentRES said:
WDA-

I think you got the responses you did here because this forum is not filled with hacks. Your post might as well have started off with..........

"Who nails? And I am not talking about your wife. LOL"

Thats the idea ;), After seeing some of the posts around here, no offense, I was really beginning to wonder.... unfortunaltely I have developed a not so positive outlook on this industry over the last 3-4 years. But the responses may have restored a little faith :)

Thanks
WDA

·
Registered
269 Posts
The hacks are too busy drinking up their last paycheck so they can become vagrants again to be on the internet. :D

·
Registered
262 Posts
I'll bite, and be honest at the same time.

Crown joists: always
Crown rafters: always
Use straight stock for triples, jacks, partition boxes: always (psycho cut guy)
Crown studs: no.

In all sincerity, I don't understand it. Also, the guy that said the hacks are out drinking their profits and couldn't afford the internet was funny as hellll (or something to that effect...).

-old27

·
Registered
262 Posts
Tjaiden said:
Fighting with uncrowned studs is how you are gonna wind up with a nail in your hand...
How? Trust me, I am not trying to be a wise guy...please explain how I will get a nail in my hand if studs aren't crowned. Is it the wood itself or is it technique? I always thought that knots were the only explainable/ accidental reason for getting bit...What dimension of lumber are we talking here? x4, x6, x8? If you ask me, which I know you haven't, it's more dangerous to nail a 2x4 than a 2x6 and so on...It's gotta be a quality of lumber issue you're talking about. Later.

-old27

·
Ex Nail Pounder
164 Posts
old27 said:
I'll bite, and be honest at the same time.

Crown joists: always
Crown rafters: always
Use straight stock for triples, jacks, partition boxes: always (psycho cut guy)
Crown studs: no.

In all sincerity, I don't understand it. Also, the guy that said the hacks are out drinking their profits and couldn't afford the internet was funny as hellll (or something to that effect...).

-old27
Ever frame 10' walls?

Ever have type 5 finish following your uncrowned studs?

Wait, I'll answer for you...... No, or, I didn't make out very well with the drywall crew.

·
Registered
6,858 Posts
I once had a guy workin' for me who wanted to argue crowning the studs, - - his first day was also his last.

1 - 20 of 106 Posts