Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to quote installing and painting crown and 2 piece chair rail in dining room approx. 16x13. Is 8 man hrs. reasonable for this project not including the painting? Also you guys paint beforehand? How long before?

Any other tips or suggestions would be appreciated. I not concerned with cutting done enough crown on cabinets just don't recall ever doing large crown wall to ceiling.

Thanks in advance, Mike

·
Want to play a game?
4,522 Posts
8' ceiling? Straight walls with no windows or extras? 8 hours sound reasonable.

We sometimes paint before install but really no rhyme or reason. Maybe if the ceiling was 12' and you didn't want to be high up for so long. Or if we have the paint out and want a sprayed first coat.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, 8 foot ceilings no windows no extras. Probably price it for 10 man hrs. with paint and bring helper just in case, hopefully be done in 6 with the two of us.

·
Radical Basement Dweller
26,163 Posts
I paint everything beforehand. I also cope before I get there and protect the ends for transit. The more you do at home, the less you have to do on site.
I think 8 hours total sounds about right.

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
Sounds about right to me.I usually prime and one coat of paint before installing then fill,caulk and one more coat of paint after install.

·
Registered
11,386 Posts
I'm not so sure about that. Full day sounds too long. All inside corners? If you charge a premium hourly rate in your market, I'd be careful. Might do a "per foot + # corners/joints price.

·
Radical Basement Dweller
26,163 Posts
For me......

Prep all molding (sanding primer bumps and lumps)
Cope and tweak one end of moldings
Paint one or two coats
Load everything
Drive to destination...obligatory chit-chat with customer
Move furniture out of the way
Set up compressor, nail gun, saw, etc
I put backer boards on most of my crown so time for ripping and installing that
Install crown...install chair rail
I tape off for caulk...so do that for all moldings
Fill nails holes, sand flush, repaint
Caulk all moldings
Quality check...tweak as needed
Put furniture back
Load truck
Collect money

It's a full day for me. Edit: ...and a helper.

·
Finishing Carpenter
1,332 Posts
I paint everything beforehand. I also cope before I get there and protect the ends for transit. The more you do at home, the less you have to do on site.
I think 8 hours total sounds about right.
Exactly what Robie says.

It would take me another 1/2 day as I don't have a helper. Coping and prepping before hand saves you a ton of time on site.

I had a crown job last week where I didn't have the crown before hand. I had to cope it all in the dark condo garage, with my headband flashlight, then take it all up the elevator.

I figured that it cost me three hours due to that.

Got another one this Friday, empty suite. 22nd floor! I can set up inside on that one though.

Sailfish, I would plan for an 8-10 hour day for your job.

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
I don't know for you rest but for me is a room with standard crown like 5 hours. 3 of them is for finding and marking studs and setting straight line. I have not idea about precoping. As I understand you check corner angle (seldom 90) and cope then. I cope with jig saw.

·
Finishing Carpenter
1,332 Posts
I don't mark studs, I cross nail. That and the caulking and the crown is on there for good.

Checking inside corner angles is not necessary, a coped piece of crown will fit tightly to its matching piece despite the corner being out of square several degrees either way. That is the primary advantage of coping crown. ( jigsaw/jig, festool RAS)

Outside corners however I always measure the angle, or I use the angle finder device that came with my Kapex saw. Glue outside corners and joints.

·
Finish Carpenter
4,999 Posts
I don't mark studs, I cross nail. That and the caulking and the crown is on there for good.

Checking inside corner angles is not necessary, a coped piece of crown will fit tightly to its matching piece despite the corner being out of square several degrees either way. That is the primary advantage of coping crown. ( jigsaw/jig, festool RAS)

Outside corners however I always measure the angle, or I use the angle finder device that came with my Kapex saw. Glue outside corners and joints.
I have found that stud nailing with 16 or 15 gauge does keep the crown from moving as much with the seasons as opposed to cross nailing with 18 gauge.

It doesn't stop it, but it helps.

I cope my crown and move along with a stud finder in one hand and the nail gun in the other. I can hang a 13x16, 4 corner, room in about 1 hour, if the saw is not "across town" and there is nothing in the room. 2 pc chair would take also about an hour. Same principal except add a laser on a tripod set to chair height. Cope corners, tack in place, move along wall with stud finder in one hand, nail gun in the other. If your a rookie, 8 hours will give you plenty of time.

This also does not include floating any large depressions in the wall or ceiling out with compound, this is a simple hang, and caulk job.

I did a job a few months back, me any my partner hung 2 rooms of crown, added backband to 4 doors, and 1 room of 2 pc baseboard (base and shoe). It took us 3 hours, caulked the seams at wall/ceiling and holes filled with putty, including set-up. When we went to clean up, the client asked us for another room of crown. Grabbed the crown while out to lunch, came back, 1 hour later (13x22) was hung, joints sanded, primed, caulked and holes filled.

That was a good day for us.

·
Carolina Surface Prep
220 Posts
Yes, 8 foot ceilings no windows no extras. Probably price it for 10 man hrs. with paint and bring helper just in case, hopefully be done in 6 with the two of us.
Hopefully you mean that two of you would be done in three hours time, and not take 12 man hours to do the job.;)

I've done paint grade crown in a rectangular room like that in four hours working alone. The chair rail should go just as fast. Eight man hours should be plenty, especially if you have a helper. Two workers can get more done in four hours than one can in eight.

Make sure you buy 16 ft lengths so you have no splices to deal with.

·
Radical Basement Dweller
26,163 Posts
Grabbed the crown while out to lunch, came back, 1 hour later (13x22) was hung, joints sanded, primed, caulked and holes filled.
No furniture to move?
No painting?

I'm not calling you out, but I'd sure like to see you and a helper do all this with exceptional results in 60 minutes.

·
Carolina Surface Prep
220 Posts
Yea, that's pretty quick. But then again, he was all set up and probably didn't have to move much furniture.

A person can get fast with crown when you learn the relationships between the room measurements, the saw setups, and how to cope correctly.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks guys for all the replies really a lot of help. I'm going to send them a quote tomorrow I'm not desperate for the work, actually a little intimidated about this job. I am more of a construction guy than a finish carpenter. I'm a little uncomfortable working around furniture especially these people,they look like neat freaks and to top it off there's a piano in the room I'd be working in. On the other hand, I would like to gain the experience of a job like this, be easy to sell to future HO's. So my goal is to get the job not break anything and not lose money.

Went to HD and Lowes, surprised how cheap the crown was 4'' neither had bull nose for chair. I guess I could round over 1x2.

Is HD crown similar to lumber yard or very inferior?

·
Radical Basement Dweller
26,163 Posts
Thanks guys for all the replies really a lot of help. I'm going to send them a quote tomorrow I'm not desperate for the work, actually a little intimidated about this job. I am more of a construction guy than a finish carpenter. I'm a little uncomfortable working around furniture especially these people,they look like neat freaks and to top it off there's a piano in the room I'd be working in. On the other hand, I would like to gain the experience of a job like this, be easy to sell to future HO's. So my goal is to get the job not break anything and not lose money.
No guts...no glory.
All of us were a little intimidated the first time. Hell, even if it takes you twice as long and you don't make as much, the next time will be better...the next, even better.

Furniture? Just be careful...don't hurry. Drop cloths for any priming and painting.
Think it out before you get there and "JUST DO IT"

You'll be fine. If you haven't coped...buy a length and practice.

·
Registered
543 Posts
CarpenterSFO said:
I'm spoiled - San Francisco has some awesome millwork suppliers.

in toronto all the moulding mdf guys do inside mitersaw on crown 4to 5 bucks a ft installed primed and painted ,I've never seen any of them cope.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts