Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ladders? Scaffold? Both?

When I do crown in a dining or living room I'll use 2 step ladders and a couple of those 3rd hand poles. That won't work in a 2 story foyer where I'll need to reach 18' up and over the stairway. I have a 24' extension ladder and I can get my hands on a second ladder as well as scaffold. The scaffold will give me a platform at approximately 12'. But some foyers are too cramped for a scaffold.

I have always worked alone. Is this something I should get a helper for? I'm curious what others do. Please share your secrets.

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
I did something similar years ago in a 10 unit condo, I had 22 ft. from about the #5 or 6 tread. I built scaffolding out of stud lumber, about $1.20 ea., used old carpet to protect the walls and jammed everything in tight. Fastened with deck screws. It took about 1/2 hr. to figure it out, about an hour to install and it held 2 guys safely.

·
Registered
90 Posts
2 extension ladders and 2 guys. I would highly recommend a helper, it makes it so much easier and usually the work turns out better. (One guy can hold the piece while the other adjusts the corners, etc).

I would recommend 2 extension ladders and 2 folding 6 foot ladders. You'll probably continue the crown onto the second floor at some point, where a normal 6 foot ladder works well.

Some guys dont, but I always nail a piece of 1x2 to the subfloor behind the feet of my extension ladder. The 5 seconds and 4 nails to not fall 20 something feet is worth it in my opinion. :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the input PPro. I failed to mention that this job, and all of my jobs to date are in finished homes. So the 1 x 2 nailed to the sub floor was not an option but is still a great idea, because you can't do this stuff without thinking of how fragile the human body is.

Since I'm working in finished homes I have to worry about hardwood floors, foyer chandeliers and stairways with banisters.

I went solo using 12' of baker's scaffold (Bil-Jax Interior model). I used it straight up for the high areas and then reconfigured it to go up the steps. I didn't use an extension ladder because this foyer has a ledge above the front door, it was wide enough to use a 6' step ladder to reach into the front corners and across the front wall. I climbed up the scaffold to get to the ledge. If the ledge weren't there I might have used an extension ladder. I could also use 3rd-Hand poles on top of the scaffold.

Erecting the scaffold alone is a physical job. Anyone with back, neck or shoulder problems should have a helper.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Glad it worked out for you, I dont work in finished homes too often, so crappy ladders and nailing stuff to the floor works perfect. :)

We also dont have the time to build scaffolding, so thats usually out of the question. I wish I had the time sometimes...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts