Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4,647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recent thread prompted me to write this. :whistling

I've had crown in three of my bathrooms / showers for several years now. MDF, latex primer and Ben Moore latex semi-gloss. No problems here

I've read threads over the yrs about this................Ya gotta do this.................Ya gotta do that.........................Has anyone ever seen a problem with it?

·
Registered
9,055 Posts
I only saw a problem with MDF in a bath once and I think it had more to do with the homeowners kids, almost non stop really hot showers, not using the fan, and flat paint then the MDF.

They really needed an institutional bathroom.

·
Radical Basement Dweller
27,447 Posts
No problems here. I do have one fairly new home I've had to re-caulk one particular area twice where it meets the ceiling. Don't know if it's from the house settling or from high heat and humidity. Other than that...nada.

·
Head Light Bulb Changer
847 Posts
I have crown in my bathrooms, but I used SYP, not MDF. I don't trust MDF in high moisture areas. I like to take long, hot showers in the evening and the fan can't keep up.

·
Pro
2,138 Posts
66 Shelby said:
I have crown in my bathrooms, but I used SYP, not MDF. I don't trust MDF in high moisture areas. I like to take long, hot showers in the evening and the fan can't keep up.
Upsize to a larger cfm unit.

I don't see a problem with MDF crown, but we DO NOT use it for base.

·
Finishing Carpenter
1,332 Posts
I've done lots of them. I spray the back with kilz, so as to seal it up just in case. Never had a call back. Even over the showers! I think it's overkill myself, but the client says what they want and so that's what I will do.

·
Registered
5,855 Posts
What are your thoughts on styrofoam crown?
I've used it before to wrap a self/box high up on the wall. I can't remember why I chose it, no moisture issues at that location. It was for the previous house that my ex now has. When it was finished, it looked great. You couldn't tell it wasn't wood. I could take a picture, but it would have to be with a zoom lens, through the window I think. lol

But in high moisture/humidity areas it would seem like a good idea.

·
Registered
4,647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I only saw a problem with MDF in a bath once and I think it had more to do with the homeowners kids, almost non stop really hot showers, not using the fan, and flat paint then the MDF.
It took a few times to get my kids to learn to use bath fans when showering.:laughing:

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
66 Shelby said:
That's why the fan's are wired to the overhead (can) lights. You'll be in the dark without the fan on :thumbsup:
Had to do that when I remodeled our bathroom. I could not get the wife to turn on the fan when she showered.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts