Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
41 - 45 of 45 Posts
You can get 4x4 garapa, ipe, massaranduba, teak, etc. pretty easily and any of them would be better than oak. I just don't see how you're going to bend 4x4 PT 1/4" at 1.5' with 200lbs. The deflection isn't usually due to the post but rather the attachment.
For a manufacturer to meet 200 LB test, they have to apply 2.5 times the acceptable load pressure onto the railing which is 500LB for a period of 24 hr and after that the railing should recover not less than 75% of its max deflection after the load is removed. How they do this tests, I'm not sure but if they only do the test on the post itself that should be done according to ASTM requirement I would assume.

If this test conducted on the Field built railing, per IBC requirement, you have to apply 2 times the approved max load (200 LB) which will be 400 LB along the top of the railing at any point for the same amount of time (24hr period) and achieve the same results.

I'm having a brain fart today, trying to design a deck for my buddy. We need to use a flush beam for the outside as there isn't enough head room for a standard post and beam without making it feel crowded.

This corner needs to get a post and then I figure two railing posts as that's what's going to look best on the other outside corners. The posts are garapa so surface mount probably isn't an option.

I usually notch and bolt posts but have no problem with using hardware. I just don't see how a hardware connection would work in this situation.

My fallback option is to use a couple more posts and a triple 2x6 beam but it's living space so having a 9' beam span would be a lot nicer than 4.5'.
so what did you do to get the job done.

41 - 45 of 45 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.