Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Talking Head
5,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm having a brain fart today, trying to design a deck for my buddy. We need to use a flush beam for the outside as there isn't enough head room for a standard post and beam without making it feel crowded.

This corner needs to get a post and then I figure two railing posts as that's what's going to look best on the other outside corners. The posts are garapa so surface mount probably isn't an option.

I usually notch and bolt posts but have no problem with using hardware. I just don't see how a hardware connection would work in this situation.

My fallback option is to use a couple more posts and a triple 2x6 beam but it's living space so having a 9' beam span would be a lot nicer than 4.5'.

Attachments

·
Deck Parts Retailer
3,108 Posts
stack the 4x4 0n the 6x6 and you will be direct bearing, if you want to feel better about it you can put a peg in the 6x6 that also goes into the 4x4. otherwise use a strap from the 6x6 to the 4x4, or a treated 2x4 to the flush side of both and bolt it together w/ 4 1/2 x 7" hex head bolts

·
Talking Head
5,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The local BO's will want either a notched and through bolted post/beam connection or hardware brackets on both sides of the beam. I don't see how I can use the hardware in the weird corner and I'd have to bolt the railing post through it, but that part can be handled by drilling through the steel. Any ideas?

This is a good example of engineering the structure AFTER it's been designed vs. doing both at the same time.:rolleyes:

If I can't get an elegant solution to this PITA, I'm just going to recommend we slip a triple 2x6 beam in there. I've never been a big fan of flush framing but it would be appropriate for this deck. They're spending close to $200k on the exterior for the back yard. Pools, patios, pergolas, the whole shebang.

·
always building
1,814 Posts
if you have to roll with what you presented Ethan, then "Thru Locks" would make the install much easier. If you want to get fancy... Do it Gregs' way and plug your hardware :thumbsup: You could even use the corner bay to do some trick joinery (for $extra$ of course)

·
Registered
4,364 Posts
Does the inside ply of the beam need to have full bearingor can it be kept back to allow the 4x4 to be notched? Or make it a triple and keep the center ply short.

We can't notch our posts for guardrails so I have never had this situation before.

Or a spline or other hidden bracket.
http://www.decksgo.com/titan-post-anchor.html

·
Talking Head
5,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I can't notch the railing posts. I drew them set back from the corners 7.5" and will do it similar to what Greg presented with two balusters in between the posts. It actually solves a problem on another corner where I had two posts that were a little too close together for my liking.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
I don't do any exotic wood decks so forgive me if this is naive, but could you just pour piers above grade and set a post anchor in the pier and then just use a continuous 4"x4" garapa posts from top of pier through the inside of the rim joist?

Another option would be to use a nice decorative post sleeve and then have it as an accent color.

Here is a picture of my first idea - bottom left picture

http://everlastingdecking.com/learn/wood-decking/garapa

·
PCI
649 Posts
Forgive me if I'm going a little against the grain here. (I'm not trying to high jack your post) a little clarification. Why can you not notch a post?

Can you use a 2x4 and anchor that as your railing post? It will meet the code 200# test here.

If so, why can you not notch a 4x4?

Can you notch a 8x8?

Does the code strictly say no notching in your area?

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Forgive me if I'm going a little against the grain here. (I'm not trying to high jack your post) a little clarification. Why can you not notch a post?

Can you use a 2x4 and anchor that as your railing post? It will meet the code 200# test here.

Can you notch a 8x8?

a 2x4 will not meet 200 lb code here as will not a 4x 4 notched meet code

·
PCI
649 Posts
Does it say you cannot notch an 8x8 because that mighy give you 6 f"n inches and that might not be enough. Maybe you should have a 12x12. Come on, what does code call for?

·
John Hyatt
3,658 Posts
Charles, Thanks for posting that work.

Many times while putting down South American decking I think " what a waste "

The wood could be used for so many other things , like that siding , really a lot of inside work.

JonMon www.deckmastersllc.com

·
deck aficionado
531 Posts

Can you notch a 8x8?

The code is pretty clear and specific about this, no notching of posts period

·
Talking Head
5,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I wouldn't notch a 4x4. No reason to really, once we have the fascia and decking overhang on there the decking is almost flushed up to the outside of the post anyway. My buddy likes the look of the offset posts so we're good to go.

·
PCI
649 Posts
Select decks, can you notch a 12x12? Seriously, what does your code say? "NO MATTER THE SIZE OF POST UP TO A 20X20, NO NOTCHING! !! REALLY?

1 - 20 of 45 Posts