Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
I like the style of #4 but I'm not so sure about the name. Are you going to expand into closets, hope chests, porch swings, and planters?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've never seen a cedar tree shaped liker those. We had one in our front yard that was cone shaped. Does the image depict a variety of cedar tree?

·
Banned
14,078 Posts
To be honest with you not knowing anything about the company the name "Anything Cedar" would make me think you sold cedar products or cedar crafts, it sounds like a retail store. Looking at the logo without knowing anything about the company I would assume you are an arborist. I'm a much simpler marketer in my techinques, I want the public to instantly understand what I am doing by the name and not have to spend the hundreds of thousands of dollars it takes to create brand awareness, most small businesses don't have those budgets so picking a descriptive name overcomes that hurdle for you. Starting a business with a non-consumer friendly name to me doesn't make a whole lot of sense. (I've been there before and learned the lessons first hand, fielding the phone calls from confused customer wanting to know if they can buy cedar shavings for their hamsters cages will get old)

Cedar Care, Cedar Restoration Company, Cedar Restoration Services, Cedar Maintenance Company, Cedar Cleaners Inc, Cedar Restorers, Cedar Cleaning Inc, Cedar Clean, Cedar Refinish, Cedar Care & Maintenance Inc, Cedar Like New...

You asked for it ;)

·
Registered
318 Posts
The first one's the most eye catching. As far as a business description, I have found that a quick explanation on the card or home page clears it up and then the name becomes associated with that. You would never think of "Shell" as a petroleum company if you hadn't seen the gas stations, but now everyone associates the name with it.

Tim

·
Registered
8,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Teetor & Mike, just cedar roofing and siding. This is not a second company. This is just a secondary website for receiving more traffic such as my gutter web site www.gutterexperts.com These sites are advertised nowhere expect search engines and directories. Take a look at www.gutterexperts.com and see what I mean. Then take a look at the site www.anythingcedar.com and also see my rough layout.

Again this is NOT a second company. So which logo do you like?

Pipe, me either. They look asian like a bonsai tree.

·
Banned
14,078 Posts
Tim, your example of Shell Oil is exactly the point. The only reason you associate the Shell Oil Icon with them is that they have spent hundreds of millions of dollars to brand the shell icon with their company, small business rarely have that luxury. The internet is littered with thousands of companies that forgot that simple business rule. You know who Yahoo.com is even with the silly name because of the millions spent branding it, but I doubt you know who zeal.com is.

Like I said I have a different approach. Marketing is an uphill battle, I want as much in my favor right from the start. I don't believe in making things harder for myself. That's just the way I see it.

·
Registered
318 Posts
"will never be embroidered or printed on anything"

Except for company kimonos. ;)

Mike - I know what you're saying in regards to a large market. However, marketing for the contractor in a specific geographic area is not the same as national brand marketing. In a specific geographic area, you do have the luxury of spending a decent amount of money/time per contact explaining the business and getting people to associate the business with the name. Also, being named "anything cedar" is not a bad way to get "anyone" looking for or related to local cedar construction to look up the company and see what they're about. I did without knowing a thing about Grumpy's business.

Tim

·
Registered
8,606 Posts
I say change the tree in #1 to look more cedar like and reduce the glare effect it has. Then you would have a winner.

·
Registered
79 Posts

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
Is Lebanon near Illinois? :cheesygri

1 - 16 of 16 Posts