Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I built this deck by myself, did I do good? I know it's tough to tell from pictures, how well I did. The skirt has been finished sine the first pics. Also, how do you clean Azek Deck from black shoe scuffs?

·
Registered
440 Posts
looks good and im not even a deck guy haha. But did you try a tennis ball or mr clean eraser?

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
looks good and im not even a deck guy haha. But did you try a tennis ball or mr clean eraser?
I haven't tried anything yet, I'm worried about further problems with using chemicals. I heard that toilet bowl cleaner works, but I am hesitant to try it.

·
Official CT Greeter!
1,397 Posts
wd-40 it works for everything!:thumbsup:

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
I've had decent success w/ Mr. Clean Magic Eraser and a crapload of elbow grease (on TT XLM - similar to AZEK). Just keep workin' it, I destroyed two erasers but the scuff mark was 80-85% lighter when I was done.

Deck looks good from the pics, w/ the exception of the concrete footings (too small) -

Please answer these:
How did you attach the ledger board to the house?
How did you attach the beam to the posts?
How large (dia. and depth) are your concrete footings?

Mac

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
Haven't you patted yourself on the back enough...now you want to be validated by us?....:clap:...Okay, it looks good...but if you are a blind one armed man in a wheelchair...it looks fantastic....:laughing:

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I've had decent success w/ Mr. Clean Magic Eraser and a crapload of elbow grease (on TT XLM - similar to AZEK). Just keep workin' it, I destroyed two erasers but the scuff mark was 80-85% lighter when I was done.

Deck looks good from the pics, w/ the exception of the concrete footings (too small) -

Please answer these:
How did you attach the ledger board to the house?
How did you attach the beam to the posts?
How large (dia. and depth) are your concrete footings?

Mac
I am not really sure how the ledger is attached, but I saw the contractor who framed my house (he put it up when it was built) use some big friggen screws.

The beam is attached to the posts using some Simpson tie, my friend got them for me.

The piers are 10" with a "bigfoot" footing under each one.

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
Most deck failures occur at the ledger board connection. Check the screw/bolt pattern to make sure it's sufficient, that you (or your contractor) hit solid framing in the house, that you're not introducing water into your house at that connection and you're golden...

Still think 10" is not nearly enough concrete for a 6x6 post but at least you've got the Squarefoot under it. That will prevent the footing from sinking...

Mac

1 - 15 of 15 Posts