Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a basic stair build i did a few years ago for a friend for $50 and a case of beer.
Looking for some criticism...what would you have done different?

This is the first time doing an actual set myself and he wanted to keep it as basic as possible, hence the no toe kicks, or actual footings:thumbup:

Attachments

·
Artist and not a curator
12,854 Posts
Oh boy, you might not want to have done that. You should probably think about working for a carpenter for a little while before you go and try to build stairs. Not trying to be a dick but there are a lot of things wrong with that set of stairs.

Handrail is supposed to extend past last tread
Supposed to have a graspable handrail
Stringers look like they're spaced too far apart
The railing in no way is code compliant
Looks like the first rise is cut the same as all the rest
First tread looks to be a different width

and I'll stop there.

·
Super Moderator
27,538 Posts
:laughing::clap:

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
The stairs themselves look decent.The railing doesn't look like it would hold up to much.When you say "toe kicks",I think you are referring to the risers.He got what he payed for. ;)

·
Super Moderator
27,538 Posts
I'd of gone for a better deal. Case of beer and feed me.

They would of got of lighter with the 50.00.

Reactions: Deckhead

·
Super Moderator
27,538 Posts
Stick around, bro.

Better than my first set of steps.

Reactions: EricBrancard

·
Super Moderator
27,538 Posts
It all worked out until that last step...

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
ya i appreciate the feedback, like i said this was 2 or 3 years ago, i know some things that were ok and others werent/didnt meet "code". I think they're decent for under $100, and i wasnt going back for a second day:rolleyes:

·
Super Moderator
27,538 Posts
There is nothing wrong with those stairs for what it's purpose was, and where it is. I mean that. If you posted that as a project you completed for a client and charged for it, another story.

We are just busting your balls.

Once you are around for a while you won't give us any ammunition. :whistling:laughing:

·
Artist and not a curator
12,854 Posts
ya i appreciate the feedback, like i said this was 2 or 3 years ago, i know some things that were ok and others werent/didnt meet "code". I think they're decent for under $100, and i wasnt going back for a second day:rolleyes:
For $100 I would have thrown a couple boulders with some stones in front and an empty beer box at the end of the deck and said "there's your stairs".:drink: You did fine, your buddy wanted some stairs and you wanted some experience... it all worked out.

The mistake is asking for criticism, that :censored: is given whether its asked for or not.

·
Registered
551 Posts
The devil is in the details....It's difficult to judge structural integrity from the photo.
Looks like you built a very safe and functional set of stairs. Keep up the good work!

·
Head Light Bulb Changer
847 Posts
Minor details aside, IMO you both came out good. Your buddy got a good set of stairs for a good price. You got experience, gas money, and BEER :clap:. Plus, after a 'few years' it's still standing :thumbsup:

·
Registered
273 Posts
This is a basic stair build i did a few years ago for a friend for $50 and a case of beer.
Looking for some criticism...what would you have done different?

This is the first time doing an actual set myself and he wanted to keep it as basic as possible, hence the no toe kicks, or actual footings:thumbup:
Before I venture forth with criticism ...

Did you build those stairs before, after, or during the consumption of that case?

I'll reserve my criticism until that question is answered.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts