Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Boondockian
1,478 Posts
What are you calling a cripple exactly?
Cripples are studs that don't go the full wall height, normally found above and below window and door openings.

·
Fine Handcrafted Opinions
994 Posts
Dustincoc said:
Cripples are studs that don't go the full wall height, normally found above and below window and door openings.
That's what I call cripples too, but I've run into people who call trimmers cripples and other weird stuff, so I was just making sure.

Not sure why the answer to the op's question wouldn't be to just continue the layout on the wall. Probably 16" oc.

·
Boondockian
1,478 Posts
That's what I call cripples too, but I've run into people who call trimmers cripples and other weird stuff, so I was just making sure.

Not sure why the answer to the op's question wouldn't be to just continue the layout on the wall. Probably 16" oc.
Thats what I normally do as well continue the wall layout. However, I have run across situations(interior remodeling, non-load bearing)) where the walls end at door openings and seperate panels are framed above the door as fillers.

·
Boondockian
1,478 Posts
Trimmers in the diagram are called jack studs here. Cripples are the same.

Tom
I call them jacks as well. Thats just a diagram I googled up showing cripples, not something I use.

·
diplomat
5,292 Posts
When you lay out plates each 16" mark is marked. People use different methods but for me it's X for stud, K for king, J for jack, C for cripple.

·
Artist and not a curator
14,332 Posts
Thats what I normally do as well continue the wall layout. However, I have run across situations(interior remodeling, non-load bearing)) where the walls end at door openings and seperate panels are framed above the door as fillers.
huh? Never even occurred to me not to go back to a stud and continue layout, any other way is more work for you and every other trade behind.

·
Registered
Remodel
31,158 Posts
huh? Never even occurred to me not to go back to a stud and continue layout, any other way is more work for you and every other trade behind.
On a remodel, you may have an opening between room with the ceiling continuous through the opening. If you want to put a door there, it's just a bit of framing you can pop together on the floor and then put in place. No matter where you put the cripple, it's off the 16"OC in one direction or another, so usually you just put it in the middle.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts