Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Custom Builder
4,406 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Friend of mine runs a big roofing outfit in Peoria IL.

I'm building a room addition, he sees my truck and stops off to say hey.

He tells me he hired a new sub for the house across the street, it's past noon and the crew still hasn't shown up.

While telling me the story he notices the sub's truck a block down the street. :eek:

You might have already guessed, but I'll tell anyhow, They tore off the wrong stinking roof. :eek:

I guess the homeowner was at work.

Bob

·
Back from the dead...
6,646 Posts
About 15 years ago, I worked for a paper/paint co. in which the boss was notorious for giving terrible directions to the jobsite. I would ask for an address and zipcode, I'll just use my street guide. He seemed to think he could draw directions on a napkin better than my streetguide. So one day comes along, he gives me and a crew of 3 some directions to a house in which we were to paint the exterior trim. We pull up at the house, I do some quick figuring, and realize this ain't the right house. So we said screw 'em, paint it. Maybe it will teach him a lesson. That guy got a free paint job that day, and the boss still didn't get it. To this day I know guys that work for him and he still gives terrible directions. This guy has a company of 15 employess, he doesn't even have a cell phone or pager, so if something happens on a job, everybody just goes home.

·
Flooring Guru
2,794 Posts
A couple weeks ago I went to go to an insurance flooring measure in town, the house was supposed to have a lock box, but when I got there, It didn't. So I knocked a few times and opened the unlocked door and yelled inside. I was in a hurry so I started taking my pictures and was about to start cutting up flooring for testing, but there was supposed to be a garage and there wasn't, tile in the entry was actually lam floor, so some flags went up in my head.
turns out that both side street couldesac's on this main street had exact same addresses just different street names and I went to the wrong street, so I bailed and went to the right house.
it's funny cause I have pics.....I will try to post them.
I have pics of the unknown owners house, and pics of the insurance claim house...

big big difference, and embarrasing....

Attachments

·
Flooring Guru
2,794 Posts
well, i dont have the insurance house pics, but it's a far cry from this for sure....floor is all tore up, fans going in the house to dry floors, all that jazz that I shoulda been lookin for.

do you notice the roll of toilet paper? ha! I guess they werent expecting anyone :)

there was money layin around too, guess that shoulda run a bell in my head but oh well :)

·
Registered
8,606 Posts
So, I guess that guy got a new roof for free huh?

When you drive up to your house after something like that happens I wonder what your reaction is. Your probably really mad... and then realize that you just got a new roof for free LOL.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts