Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
hack of all trades
1,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since I've moved to bloomington IN, I've noticed there are so many chimneys, even on roofs that have been recently reshingled, that have no cricket. Is the cricket used most places and how long has it been a practice? I don't know much about roofing, but it's just something I've been noticing a lot... Wide chimneys on the middle of a slope with nothing to deflect snow/rain, not to mention horrible or no flashing

·
Pro
2,138 Posts

·
DAVE
7 Posts
In Illinois, the NRCA suggests using crickets on any chimney 24" or wider. They have been around forever. People can argue that its the framers responsibility or the roofers responsibility. However, anything over 3 feet wide I would suggest (as a roofer) that the homeowner pay the extra labor dollars to build one. It is very rare that I see a chimney over 3ft wide (without a cricket) that doesn't have some water damage.

·
hack of all trades
1,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I need to learn the roofing trade. Around here, they should be in high demand. But, most likely, all of these HO's are not willing/cannot afford to pay for a half way decent repair or replacement. Amazing the places with fresh shingles that still have a brick dam half way down the roof slope.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts