Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have an opportunity to recreate a poolside fireplace for a professor. I am trained in Carpentry with little experience in masonry. This project requires elements of both disciplines. I am most weary about the legal requirements for a safe fireplace. I am also wondering if a stone veneer can be installed to look like the stone in the photograph as I think that would be easier, less expensive and not have me experimenting too much with the masonry. Thanks. Young Toronto Carpenter.

Pergola Backyard Patio Landscaping Building

·
Super Moderator
24,787 Posts
Hey Anjuba,

Pricing requests are not allowed here. Your post has some merit so I removed the pricing stuff.

Check with your AHJ about fireplace requirements.

Better yet would be to team up with a Mason to get some real pro info & results...:thumbsup:

·
Capra Aegagrus
Remodeler
25,222 Posts
Pricing recommendations are against policy here, because there are way too many variables to make my price for such a job valid for your situation.

That photo actually looks like a veneer to me, but I'm not a mason. If you want to learn to do that sort of thing properly, I'd suggest that you subcontract that part of the work, and watch and learn. Any reputable mason will know how to build a proper fireplace, ro refer you to someone who does.

·
Registered
686 Posts
I dig that pergola......you wanna chat with Bytor, who's up in Ontario in the lakes region......

You could likely do most of it yourself, if you have (and the professor has) a ton of patience. I've seen guys with very little experience knock out beautiful stonework, and I've seen masons with many years of experience who've never passed 'average' on stonework......you'd still wanna get an experienced guy to do the firebox and guts, while a novice could do it with guidance, that is best left to the pros......

·
Registered
677 Posts
Having an outdoor fireplace in the city if Toronto is legal, lighting them is not.

This could be a cool project I would be happy to help out ( if the price is right)
Suggest a gas insert for the fireplace will still give the effect but without the hassle.

·
Registered
8,133 Posts
I was going to suggest contacting SUM. You CAN buy prefab units, but like SUM says, are they legal where you want them burning. I know in Ottawa you need at least the equivalent of 2 acres, because of distances to lot lines etc... A knowledgeable mason on site will be more valuable than this forum

When I contacted my local firemarshal (I'm in a small town just outside Ottawa) his only comment was that if the neighbours complained it wouldn't be permitted and it needed to be 10' from combustibles. That pergola looks like it may violate that requirement.

If you are a young carpenter use this opportunity to get to know some other local trades. Having a network of trade referrals is one of the best ways I've grown my business.

·
Registered
677 Posts
What town you in Dom, was in the part of the country today, took the family for a drive, stopped of at some farmers markets, good times.
I also buy my trailers just down the 401 at Jensen.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'm in Almonte, 15mins N of Carleton Place which is on hwy 7. What towns were you in...heck of a drive if you ended up anywhere near here.
That's amazing. I live in Toronto but first learned to work with wood in Tatlock just outside of Almonte the birthplace of basketball. As for the fireplace pergola it will potentially be going up in Dundas ON near Hamilton a very rural town however the lot is in a subdivision quite a bit smaller than 2 acres.

·
Registered
8,133 Posts
I know Tatlock well enough. Beautiful up there but not much going on for work. Where did you live and work?

Talk to the firemarshal and the municipality about the legality of everything.

What's your name anyhow?

·
Registered
677 Posts
Dom, my bad was unsure on what side of Ottawa you where on, I was in the Kingston area, maybe 1/2 east of there, unsure of the town.

·
Registered
8,133 Posts
I was guessing you were in Kingston. A good 1.5 hrs from here. nice town though and some of the nicest masonry in the country. Limestone city...Kingston and Queenston limestone are legendary, and they have decent sandstone close as well. Queens has some absolutely outstanding stonework...and Old fort henry is nothing to sneeze at either. Plus all the block houses.

Were you on hwy 2? that's a nice drive

·
Registered
677 Posts
Na stuck to the 401 for the most part, few detours for pee breaks and hortons fill ups, just a rare day off didn't want the kids (3+5) playing the Wii all day. Port hope for dinner on the way home.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Names Tony Barber and I was associated with the Shane's out there. Was living in the Bush on Darling Rd. I had a good thing going there with a few farmers and a music producer who I'd chop and stack wood for. Framed an addition or two. There were always odd jobs but my experience came at home where we built a small log home and renovated a big old barn to look like a swanky downtown condo. The upstairs was turned into a screenprinting workshop. We also did a nice stone walkway there and took down cedars for log homes in the area. It was great. Now I'm back in Toronto starting a new trade, masonry, and hoping to combine the two for a livin.

·
Registered
8,133 Posts
Ever get on the California rd? It's an unmaintained that goes from the Darling rd up to White lake? a nice tour

A friend of mine lives down the Wark rd at the 5 corners

1 - 17 of 17 Posts