Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have read lots of ideas on this forum... some that are good and some that are not so good... I want to share some tested and proven creative advertising techniques that actually work.

Creativity is defined as the ability to transcend traditional ideas to produce a totally new concept.

Creativity also happens to be the driving force behind any successful advertising campaign.

When thinking about a creative advertising campaign, it’s always best to start with basics. A successful promotion will be able to capture the viewer’s attention with subject matter that is relevant to the target market and more importantly, it will be remembered well after the time of exposure.

One proven technique is to use exaggeration -- often to the point of absurdity -- to make your point to a potential customer and drive it home. Simply start with the fundamental message you want to send and push it beyond reason and reality.

The key is to avoid small exaggerations, which can potentially be viewed as false or misleading advertising. Be sure to create a concept that carries your message to such extremes that the exaggeration is clearly obvious to the viewer. You can exaggerate the problem that your product or service will solve or point out benefits that are clearly out of the realm of possibility.

The power drill banner pictured below is a great example of exaggeration.

see attachment

The creative placement of the banner above a tunnel really sells the point. Obviously a power drill can’t bore a tunnel through a mountainside but this product should easily handle any everyday project the consumer may have on his personal to do list.

Another tried and true creative advertising technique is the use of metaphors. A metaphor is one thing perceived as representing another or a figure of speech that makes an implied comparison.

The idea is to use a powerful image or dramatic statement to suggest your company’s service or product. The metaphor can represent a characteristic of your brand or your product’s benefit or even a problem that your service can remedy.

A well thought out campaign will ensure that the viewer applies the known characteristics of the statement or image in your ad to your company’s product or service. If your message is culturally universal, a strong metaphor can also bypass language barriers and speak to an international audience.

Geico Insurance hit a home run with their “So easy a Caveman can do it” slogan. The characters eventually transcended their salesman roles and became so popular that they inspired a TV sitcom, short-lived though it was.

One example of the effective use of a visual metaphor is the Morgan Stanley Dean Witter ad pictured below.

see attachment

The message here is clear and you don’t need to read the fine print to get it. This company is dedicated to save you during times of risk just like the bungee cord attached to that guy’s ankles is going to keep him from plunging headfirst into the water far, far below.

Exaggeration and metaphors are just two tools that you can use to successfully sell your business. Step outside the box and think about how these two creative advertising techniques may be used to deliver your message and ultimately improve your bottom line.

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am not

I am not soliciting.. just sharing some very helpful information... why do you feel like I was soliciting? Is it my signature? Let me know and I will adjust if I need.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I can understand that... my family is actually big in the contracting/construction business here in Las Vegas

·
Registered
38 Posts
Very helpful. Why does it matter what you do? I believe in creative marketing also. You should set yourself apart with your own personality- you cannot attract every personality, you wont get every job, so why not just be yourself. your not running for congress- just working on houses. I really think some contractors think way too seriously about themselves and what they do for a living.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts