Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been thinking hard about how to best create lasting relationships with customers. Recently I had dinner with a friend who seems to read endless blogs about marketing. My friend started talking about building a community around our brand. My initial reaction was it seems impossible to create communities around a roofing company or custom home builder. So I started looking into his ideas and reading up on inbound marketing. What do you guys think about building these communities around your brand and how do you market to existing customers in such a way to foster relationships that are lasting. While we do repeat business for some of our customers I feel we are loosing lots of opportunity with our roofing customers because we rarely ever hear from them again after we finish the job and get paid. Any ideas and insight is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
4,048 Posts
When I complete a job for a client I also make sure to let them know about our other services, I don't force anything on them, but if I see something like a wire running across the floor to a TV I make sure to mention we also offer wiring services.

I have found this works great in the past, along with leaving a business card which list your services on it.

·
General Contractor
8,111 Posts
If you in a roofing business that is a good thing that after the job you don't hear from them again. You should be happy about that. If you want to hear back from them leave a hole in the roof and you will hear it again.

With that said, start getting your name across the community you working in. When I build my house and moved into the neighborhood, I would sponsor soccer, football and basketball teams... had my banner displayed on all games, provided tee-shirts for the teams, local hospital donations and charities, etc. I was getting lots of business from that, but not the business I was after, so after the kids were done with school I stopped doing that.
But that is one way to go about what you looking to do.

·
Registered
785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I keep running into that problem of being a very private person. I was always curious if the tactics of supporting local schools was of any use. We once bought a billboard on the highschools baseball field, they didn't get around to putting it up till the end of the year. I think a mix of offline and online community building might be a good idea in this case. Maybe something like creating content around an idea like how to build a deck. Write a blog about, hold an offline class on it somewhere and make a video about the class. Maybe those in the class share it on twitter and google+. This could create both a community and content. Im not sure how many classes I could possibly do though. Maybe team up with a local box store to provide these classes and upgrades to the elderly or veterans?

·
Registered
785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
greg24k said:
If you in a roofing business that is a good thing that after the job you don't hear from them again. You should be happy about that. If you want to hear back from them leave a hole in the roof and you will hear it again. o.
As I was writing that I thought I suppose that's somehow a good thing. I would however like to stay engaged with that homeowner. If a homeowner is willing to spend thousands on a new roof, perhaps they are willing to add a room or finish a basement. Or better yet maybe that homeowner liked our roof, then finished basement and decide they would like a custom home one day. Right now our roof customers hire us and rarely call back.

·
Registered
4,048 Posts
As I was writing that I thought I suppose that's somehow a good thing. I would however like to stay engaged with that homeowner. If a homeowner is willing to spend thousands on a new roof, perhaps they are willing to add a room or finish a basement. Or better yet maybe that homeowner liked our roof, then finished basement and decide they would like a custom home one day. Right now our roof customers hire us and rarely call back.
Are they aware you do other work as well? If they believe roofs are all you do they would have no reason to call you back for a basement project. Why not provide them with a list of services once you complete the roof, simply attach it to their invoice.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts