Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
The Ultimate Wire Hider
4,455 Posts
In the long run I believe that this technology will only be an extension of the tradesman.

Anyone who has ever built something off of computer designed blueprints knows that the finished structure is never exactly like the drawings. Most times this is because some things just cannot be foreseen or predicted until it manifests in the real world.

So when they realize that the best computer scientists and the best engineers and best graphic designers can't figure out why an 80" door doesn't quite fit into an 80" door frame, they have to call us.

I think that they'll have no problem figuring out how to put wires, pipes, and air ducts inside the walls but they'll be stumped when the house expands and contracts and starts to have issues with water hammer or leaking pipes that can't be repaired.

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
I wouldn't throw my eastwing in the dumpster.... but who would have believed a mere twenty-five years ago, that we would be discussing this on computer/wireless phones etc.

Think that innovation could ever approach making labor relatively obsolete????????????????????????????

Just curious....

·
The Dude
2,276 Posts
I wouldn't throw my eastwing in the dumpster.... but who would have believed a mere twenty-five years ago, that we would be discussing this on computer/wireless phones etc.

Think that innovation could ever approach making labor relatively obsolete????????????????????????????

Just curious....
I think we're a LOT further away from printed buildings now than we were away from internet communication in 1989. This is more like the skycar, or jet packs.

Aren't we supposed to have economical jet packs by now?

Oh, and 25 years ago, I WAS talking to people on computer networks. Of course a 2400 baud modem dialing up a computer with a bunch of phone lines plugged into it is a pretty far cry from our phones that put star trek communicators to shame ...

and sorry, but it's a pet peave - it's an Estwing ... :p

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I think (based on my limited knowledge and experience) that it's probably another 25 years or more out.

We have been replacing jobs with machines for years. It's part of the reason for the crash, and it part of the reason we still have a high unemployment rate. We are making ourselves obsolete.

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
i think (based on my limited knowledge and experience) that it's probably another 25 years or more out.

we have been replacing jobs with machines for years. It's part of the reason for the crash, and it part of the reason we still have a high unemployment rate. We are making ourselves obsolete.
yep......^^^^^^^

1 - 16 of 16 Posts