Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wanted to share this. We're installing pre hung doors in a big condo development. We have to lift them above 4 stories wall, and unload from a narrow balcony. Tricky part is that box is only 3 inches from the side of that window!

P.s. has anyone used one of these boxes on a telehandler?

Attachments

·
Registered
757 Posts
Funny story/word of caution... The first time I saw anyone do this was back when I was a kid working delivery for the local yard. We delivered a full pallet of windows. Of course they're standing up and not laying flat, but the genius leaves one of the bands on to hold them in place and takes the whole pallet and raises it twenty feet up to unload through a window RO. Pulled the first three from the side and then the pallet tipped and the rest of the windows came crashing down in a big pile.

·
Registered
665 Posts
I have done that many of times in the past. Where is the issue in doing it this way? Sure is better than HAND JACKIN them all up the steps!!! A good operator of the machine can do it with now issue. 3" from the side window, I don't see a problem, ya still got 2" until ya be to be of any concern!

·
Goin' Down in Flames....
Highwayman
5,277 Posts
I have one of those man-baskets for my tele-handler, 'cept mine is a steel frame, and weighs about 600 lbs. :eek: :thumbsup:

Delta

·
Goin' Down in Flames....
Highwayman
5,277 Posts
Guess that drives the price of a remodel up a bit when you have to fly the windows in at $1,000 an hour. :eek:

Delta

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
I'm the owner. Osha rules don't apply to me or my brother.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
May 23, 2001

Mr. Dino V. Gigante
45 Wanders Drive
Hingham, MA 02043

Re: CPL 2-0.124 ("Multi-Employer Citation Policy"); self-employed contractors

Dear Mr. Gigante:

This responds to your March 8, 2001, letter to the Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA). We have paraphrased your questions below:

Question 1: Can OSHA cite a self-employed individual working on a construction site for violations of OSHA construction standards?

Answer: No. If a construction worker is truly self-employed — is not an employee — and has no employees working for him or her, OSHA has no authority to require that individual to abide by OSHA construction requirements.

Question 2: What can be done to address unsafe practices by a self-employed individual?

Answer: Although OSHA has no authority to issue citations to a self-employed construction worker (with no employees), where a general contractor has hired that individual to work at the site, the general contractor can, by contract, require that individual to abide by the practices set out in OSHA standards. In other words, OSHA's lack of compliance authority does not restrict the general contractor from instituting workplace safety requirements on the individual by contract. Note, though, that OSHA does not have the authority to compel the individual to abide by such contract requirements.

OSHA construction requirements must be met by employers where employees are exposed to a hazard created by a self-employed worker. The extent of an employer's obligations regarding hazards created by others is explained in [CPL 02-00-124 (formerly CPL 2-0.124)] ("Multi-Employer Citation Policy") (copy attached).

If you need additional information, please contact us by fax at: U.S. Department of Labor, OSHA, Directorate of Construction, Office of Construction Standards and Guidance, fax # 202-693-1689. You can also contact us by mail at the above office, Room N3468, 200 Constitution Avenue, N.W., Washington, D.C. 20210, although there will be a delay in our receiving correspondence by mail.

Sincerely,

Russell B. Swanson, Director
Directorate of Construction
Are you sure?

·
Renaissance Man
6,818 Posts
I got the high wire act exemption from OH****...they can't touch me :whistling Wusses ;)

Attachments

·
Registered
2,366 Posts
Yes. I've done alot out of a telehandler box. Steel though, not OSB. Doesn't matter though. I'm sure it gets the job done.

I have no issue with the way you are doing it. Would have done it the same myself.

OSHA may not be able to fine you, because you have no employees, but if there is a General, they can fine him. General can get fines for any sub.
I have personally seen OSHA fine a General, $400, because the sub had a duplex outlet attached to a drop cord. In that case the sub got a $400 fine also. (The sub had 1 employee.)

·
water re-locater
7,511 Posts
Yes. I've done alot out of a telehandler box. Steel though, not OSB. Doesn't matter though. I'm sure it gets the job done.

I have no issue with the way you are doing it. Would have done it the same myself.

OSHA may not be able to fine you, because you have no employees, but if there is a General, they can fine him. General can get fines for any sub.
I have personally seen OSHA fine a General, $400, because the sub had a duplex outlet attached to a drop cord. In that case the sub got a $400 fine also. (The sub had 1 employee.)

I have a second employee. I make him wear a hard hat, steel toe boots, a safety vest, harness anything over the height of a step stool and he's not allowed to touch the extension cord with at least a roll of electrical tape around it. Oh yea. The ladder with the bent leg is off limits to him too.

·
John the Builder
16,993 Posts
I have a second employee. I make him wear a hard hat, steel toe boots, a safety vest, harness anything over the height of a step stool and he's not allowed to touch the extension cord with at least a roll of electrical tape around it. Oh yea. The ladder with the bent leg is off limits to him too.

What I love: Instead of Rage Against The Machine - you find a way to make it work for you. :thumbsup:

Reactions: NYgutterguy
1 - 20 of 21 Posts