Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

141 - 160 of 211 Posts

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
50,819 Posts
It would be just like the "vaccine". Untested and who the hell knows if it would work. It seems that trying to mass inoculate only makes the virus mutate faster.

We have no infrastructure for electric cars. The electricity supply is maxed out when push comes to shove. There is no way everyone can plug their car in at night at the same time and have enough power to supply to them and all the homes. This is with using plentiful fossil fuels to run the generator plants. We don't have nearly the capacity to run our needs on green energy let alone add millions of electric cars to the grid.

It's a fantasy.

·
Radical Basement Dweller
24,967 Posts
It would be just like the "vaccine". Untested and who the hell knows if it would work. It seems that trying to mass inoculate only makes the virus mutate faster.

We have no infrastructure for electric cars. The electricity supply is maxed out when push comes to shove. There is no way everyone can plug their car in at night at the same time and have enough power to supply to them and all the homes. This is with using plentiful fossil fuels to run the generator plants. We don't have nearly the capacity to run our needs on green energy let alone add millions of electric cars to the grid.

It's a fantasy.

Tax some more....get it going and sell it as providing millions of jobs.
Easy-peasy.

·
Registered
Remodel
29,079 Posts
The choke point on lumber is needing a grade stamp. If that weren't needed, I'd consider setting up a portable saw mill and kiln on the wood lot and milling a bunch of lumber. I could still do it for hardwood flooring.

Saw mills aren't my idea of a good time.

·
Radical Basement Dweller
24,967 Posts
Not that you'd use this for a lot of lumber but I thought it was pretty well-engineered for occasional use.

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
50,819 Posts
Snobnd apparently hasn't been looking at this thread and went into shock when a 1/2" pc of plywood rang up at $64.

·
Radical Basement Dweller
24,967 Posts
Just spoke to my hardwood supplier.
He said walnut and hard maple have gone up the most.
The other woods he guessed have gone up 10% in the last 10 months.
So, not too bad.

He also said the reason for the increase was different than what is being claimed for construction lumber. That the areas had a very wet winter and it was difficult getting the machinery in to harvest it.

Dunno....

·
Super Moderator
27,257 Posts
Just got quoted $82 a sheet for 1/2" Struc1 osb.
My price last Monday was 58, 73 yesterday. Can't get it though. I need a frame package about June 15 and another one in July. Seriously considering telling the bigger one I won't build until 2022 and take on some remodels. I get calls everyday for nice remodels, I feel like I could scrounge materials for a remodel.

Hope the framing contractors saved their nickels they won't be busy for a while I think

Reactions: pinwheel

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
50,819 Posts
You keep buying it and they are going to keep laughing at you and raising the price some more until people stop buying it.

·
Registered
GC
608 Posts
My price last Monday was 58, 73 yesterday. Can't get it though. I need a frame package about June 15 and another one in July. Seriously considering telling the bigger one I won't build until 2022 and take on some remodels. I get calls everyday for nice remodels, I feel like I could scrounge materials for a remodel.

Hope the framing contractors saved their nickels they won't be busy for a while I think
All of my work is additions with some associated remodeling, and all of it upper end stuff for people that can write a $300k check. But even those folks are starting to feel the pain. Projects are getting delayed or reduced in scope. Most also have a very valid concern about how much extra cost there will be over the bid price as my contracts now have a "material cost as of this date" clause. This is on top of already very high bay area construction costs. The average addition price where I work is in the $390 per square foot range, and I won't be surprised to see it top $450 this year.
I'm concerned the industry is going to price itself into oblivion.

·
Registered
12,203 Posts
I'm getting engineering for an addition started this week.

I can get the engineering done quickly, but the hold ups are permitting with no in person office meetings and getting responses back on plans. It's taking weeks just to get a phone call answered.

Add in material costs and unavailability and the lack of available labor and subs and it will be very interesting.

Would be a fun project. Now it is going to be a challenging one as well.

We want to start late summer, but may be next spring.

Materials are the crapshoot. Just hears that the mills aren't going to lower prices.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Reactions: Jaws

·
Super Moderator
27,257 Posts
All of my work is additions with some associated remodeling, and all of it upper end stuff for people that can write a $300k check. But even those folks are starting to feel the pain. Projects are getting delayed or reduced in scope. Most also have a very valid concern about how much extra cost there will be over the bid price as my contracts now have a "material cost as of this date" clause. This is on top of already very high bay area construction costs. The average addition price where I work is in the $390 per square foot range, and I won't be surprised to see it top $450 this year.
I'm concerned the industry is going to price itself into oblivion.
Traditionally we do large renovations and additions like you and one or teo homes, right now all new builds. My best friend is my BBQ partner, we were talking shop last night at the competition. He only builds new homes, more moderate builds usually, his under roof price (total covered area) was like 135 a ft last year. Now it starts 180. So a 2800 sq ft house, 1200 sq ft in garages and porches started at 540k, now 720k. In January he was at 155 or 160.

It's official real estate is averaging 32% increase for what a house will sell for here vs 2020. 32%, and a lot of it is California people. "This is the nicest house I've seen for 750k" meanwhile locals would pay 575k. Lol

Reactions: hdavis

·
Registered
GC
608 Posts
The question becomes, how elastic is the market? How high can prices go in a short time frame? Right now it's driven by extremely low interest rates, even clients with enough money to pay cash will finance a project because the return on investing the cash is far larger than the loan cost. But if rates start going up, along with absurd material prices, we could be in a world of hurt overnight.

·
Super Moderator
27,257 Posts
You keep buying it and they are going to keep laughing at you and raising the price some more until people stop buying it.
If a client will pay me to buy it I'll buy it any price

Reactions: Lettusbee

·
Registered
Remodel
29,079 Posts
Stopped by the pool and spa place today. No hot tubs, spas, above ground pools until next year.

Filters out of stock with no delivery date.

·
Registered
Custom
13,097 Posts
There is a chlorine shortage is here too.
Boy they sure learned the lesson of the "shortage" increasing prices this last year... why bother selling you two sheet of OSB at $34 when they can sell you one at $50...

You can be sure the employees aren't seeing a lot of the benefit of all that black...

·
Super Moderator
27,257 Posts
Boy they sure learned the lesson of the "shortage" increasing prices this last year... why bother selling you two sheet of OSB at $34 when they can sell you one at $50...

You can be sure the employees aren't seeing a lot of the benefit of all that black...
The employees aren't in 200% demand. If I owned the mill I'd look at instituting a bonus program for this time period but they aren't partners. Also - you give em extra bonuses they will expect extra bonuses. Lower on the totem pole the harder that is to get them to understand this is a special deal it won't happen again, imo

141 - 160 of 211 Posts