Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

121 - 140 of 209 Posts

·
Contractor
4,737 Posts
called McCoy's to price 5/8" Zip and was quoted $74.99-asked talk to a manager to request full pallet discount (55/skid) and she checked market price and since they last updated it went up $15.

·
Goin' Down in Flames....
Highwayman
5,823 Posts
been dreaming about one of these for a while but with these crazy lumber prices I might convince myself it makes sense to buy one...

View attachment 511149
We got one of those up at the ranch.

Couple of my brothers run it. 👍

Quality logs are key. That, and only so much you can (or want) to build with rough sawn lumber.

You kind of need a planer too.

Next we‘re going to build a plywood mill up here. 😳🤣🤣🤣🤣

·
Registered
6,434 Posts
This guy thinks these prices are here to stay and that it‘s a great thing.

”So higher for longer means these prices get normalized. A gross margin on a higher price is ideal for everybody involved. The transition to get there obviously is painful, but I think at the end of the day for this housing cycle, it's a great thing for the industry.”

·
Registered
Custom
13,097 Posts
This guy thinks these prices are here to stay and that it‘s a great thing.

”So higher for longer means these prices get normalized. A gross margin on a higher price is ideal for everybody involved. The transition to get there obviously is painful, but I think at the end of the day for this housing cycle, it's a great thing for the industry.”

You'll notice tire prices never went back down after petroleum tanked... they WANT that stimulus money... they're not likely to give up any margin until the next downturn and even then, will lay people off before giving the margin up...

Money to them is like power is to government employees... they're not going to give it up...

·
Registered
221 Posts
Sweet, white oak hardwood is non existent here and red oak I can only get in 2 1/4. Even then it's running at $5 a sq ft unfinished. Sheet of blue board is $17 if you can get it. Talking with my plumber his supply house is out of 1/2" thru 1 1/4" steel pipe and the fittings. Once existing stock is gone their next delivery for hot water heaters is Aug 1st and will most likely be spoken for. They are literally shutting down the industry with this pricing and no regulation.

Even if you land the job there is no telling what things you may not be able to get. I can't see us having any work in 2 months if supply doesn't turn around. I'm going to work on ordering everything I can for my addition. I don't have a permit yet and it's taken 18 months and about 10K just to submit to building dept. My TJI's and LVL's are already ordered and paid for before the price increase. I'm going to order the rest of the framing package tomorrow, if we ain't working I'm getting this ***** built.

I feel like this is all a dream and I need to wake up. They are creating a recession because they are pissed off at the last 4 years. Every time I turn around the guys throwing around 100 Billion like it's nothing. I double my money in the market during the pandemic, I guess it's back to that. The writing is on the wall and I will invest accordingly.

Good luck, they are going to put great craftsmen out of business.

·
Registered
580 Posts
I dont buy much lumber bit just stopped in at the lumberyard for some other things and heard the news on osb....7/16 or 1/2 forget which went from $ 36 to $ 61 a sheet😬

·
Registered
8,385 Posts
in a month or 2 its going to be much much harder to get the supplies we need at any price, its going to be a long summer. And taxes and gas shooting up rapidly

·
GC/carpenter
GC/Carpenter
43,019 Posts
in a month or 2 its going to be much much harder to get the supplies we need at any price, its going to be a long summer. And taxes and gas shooting up rapidly
Not to mention inflation. Reminds me of the Carter years.

Mike.
___

·
Registered
2,491 Posts
I was talking to my lumber rep yesterday and he has just finished updated pricing on a 6 plex. Lumber cost was 80k in Jan is now 164k.
To add to that you can’t order vinyl here till September with no delivery date yet.
I have no idea how they can still be putting holes in the ground.

·
Radical Basement Dweller
24,955 Posts
Are gas lines next? very possible
That was a fun time.

It wouldn't surprise me...to force electric cars down everyone's throats.

Reactions: hdavis
121 - 140 of 209 Posts