Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 187 Posts

·
Registered
Butcher of wood and metal
6,691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went and pickup some 1/2 OSB this morning $32 and 2x4x8 $6 where is it going to stop. Almost can't bid a job anyways out.

·
Goin' Down in Flames....
Highwayman
5,777 Posts
Bidding one this morning and 4x8x1/2 CDX is 43 bucks from one supplier, and 48 from the other

A 22’ 2x10 is more than $70. Over 20’ is going to be a premium anyway, but.......

Wonder if I’ll get this job? 😳

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
50,499 Posts
They blamed it on covid and you went and paid their crazy prices. Shouldn't have ever done that. Now they know you will and it'll never come back down.

·
Pro
5,008 Posts
Lowes white 92 5/8 precuts were close to $8.50 while 8' was around $5.50.

3/4 T&G OSB subfloor was around $38.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
27,096 Posts
Went and pickup some 1/2 OSB this morning $32 and 2x4x8 $6 where is it going to stop. Almost can't bid a job anyways out.
7/16 Zip OSB 38.64
5/8 Zip OSB 45.32
10' pre cut 2x6 13.35
10' pre cut 2x4 9.45

Those are counter prices - and to add insult to injury I was going to fire the yard (again lol) after several year run because I felt they weren't discounting me properly on packages and I shouldn't be anywhere near weekend warrior or Johnny homeowner. They said i was getting tier 1 prices and before I just said to **** off I group texted two other parade builders, one who builds about as much as we do and one that is doing about 50% more and said what are yall paying. All three the same. I figure these days the cut off net for a builder is only like 7%

The materials prices have hammered my last two fixed projects net - bet there's a total 25-30k less in GPM by the time I'm done, maybe more, right of our pocket. My cost plus projects luckily 2 I was way over on materials I was adamant it was likely to happen and they arent upset at all. The third cost plus project they are pretty hot, not really so much at me but certainly the situation. I signed in April last year and we started in July. They got ****ed

The fourth cost plus house they don't seem to care lol

About to start one and turning in final price on another, I figured like 14.50 a ft under roof for just the framing packages including floor trusses

Reactions: Sir Mixalot

·
Super Moderator
27,096 Posts
Figuring 88k on 6100 ft under roof...... 😆

·
3 Jacks 2 Nines
482 Posts
5500 sf home plus detached 3 car garage bid at 50k just before the virus and I'm at actuals of 72500 not including trusses... everyone else from tinner to drywall is telling me shortages and price increases are coming...

·
Super Moderator
27,096 Posts
5500 sf home plus detached 3 car garage bid at 50k just before the virus and I'm at actuals of 72500 not including trusses... everyone else from tinner to drywall is telling me shortages and price increases are coming...
Yep, we have had to put some pressure on some vendors and subs to keep me a priority. Sucks, feel like an ******* but nice guys get left on empty job sites - right now my plumber is one after that storm. We are the only GC he works for so basically don't **** me on these two your topping put because you burned up parts I needed on service calls. Personallu I find thst reasonable, I was in line first.

I understand they need help and we fave a lot of supply and fittings out of the shop away but I'm not losing two weeks

Reactions: bwiab

·
Registered
171 Posts
Cedar- my main stuff is silly: yard I use is always around 15% less than anywhere else.(I keep checking) HD is actually competitive but it's crappier quality and their inventory is a cluster.

4x4x8- $26.25
1x4x6' picket- $2.70
1x6x6' picket- $3.80

·
Registered
238 Posts
Terrible prices here too. Logger and smaller sawmill guys I know say log prices haven’t gone up yet though. Lumber yard blames production lost at big mills due to quarantine and they can’t get caught up. House prices here are already ridiculous, I don’t know if they can charge more to cover material and still make a profit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
93 Posts
Bid a 16 unit townhouse (2 buildings) project in early January (as GC). Naturally, developer was shocked at the price! My framing number was about $500k. After screwing around for 6 weeks, the developer figured out that maybe my price wasn't so bad. However, since I had an escalation clause in my bid, I could re-price. Sub's price went up by $175k. And yes, he could (mostly) justify it. Here we go again.

·
Registered
Remodel
28,915 Posts
Small in the scheme of things, but 1X3X8' strapping is $2.50, and it's junk.

I haven't priced the closest mill recently.

·
Registered
772 Posts
If you are marking up materials with a percentage, then higher material prices should help out your bottom line.
However, there may come a point when consumer demand will go south due to prices.

·
Super Moderator
27,096 Posts
WSJ talked about the materials spike, it's unprecedented. Loggers are going broke, mills are getting rich

Reactions: KAP

·
Registered
Remodel
28,915 Posts
Logging didn't shut down for covid, but some mills did. I'm guessing materials are still coming in from Canada, I see it at some of the yards.

·
Super Moderator
27,096 Posts
Logging didn't shut down for covid, but some mills did. I'm guessing materials are still coming in from Canada, I see it at some of the yards.
This has to do with what was planted years ago causing a surplus

Reactions: hdavis
1 - 20 of 187 Posts