Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
solar guy
1,917 Posts
Employee signes contract for employer with client. By law they have three days to cancel contract. former employee after being terminated during the rescission period encourages client to cancel contract with employer and sign contract with employee for same job.

·
Licensed, Bonded & Insur
442 Posts
You may think your boss has lost touch with his customers, and maybe he did.

But even if it is you taking care and keeping the customers happy, they still may see it as "the company", and may not be so quick to jump ship when you go out on your own.

I, for one, am fiercely loyal to those that provide me quality service. Even if it costs a little more. For example: I do lot of my own equipment repairs, but for some things I still need a mechanic. And there is only one guy I will call. He's done right by me so much that I won't even give another mechanin a chance to make his pitch to me.
Wise^^^^^^^^^^^
I ran a large company aswell, I was the face. Ran the field and the office, over 200 employees. We had big contractors to small, average job was about 150k. My phone would ring more than his. I was the go to guy, with clients and employees. When I left I chose not to chase his work, because he paid my mortgage put food in mine and my families bellies for a long time. I felt it was a respect thing. After leaving I got a real look at who the clients trusted and it wasn't me. Not because I was bad or flaky but because of the relationship they had. They didn't need to see him, they knew he was working backstage, even if he wasn't. They believed that he was trusting me to take care of HIS accounts. I did a great job in what I did. But when it was all done and said. HE was the man. Yes, it helped me when I got on my own, but I did have a reality check. Because they bought a product from HIS business and I was merely a servant. I have gotten jobs from contacts I knew, most were ones that were starting their own gig like mine. I got one big contractor only because my old boss wanted to bid a job from the phone. Be prepared if no one call on you. Make relationships out side the company with OTHER prospects that are not doing business with your boss. You wouldn't want to burn that bridge. The great thing about me and my old boss is we still get together twice a month smoke a cigar at starbucks with him just last week. I know if my business failed I could ask for ny job back. I don't see that happening but its a good feeling.
With that I will end with
Don't underestimate your bosses relationship!!!!!

·
General Contractor
3,444 Posts
As I've often said before, if you feel the need to ask strangers about an action being ethical, then you've likely already answered your question in your own heart.

Reactions: PA woodbutcher

·
Banned
306 Posts
One last thing before you jump, and by far the most important.

Are you sure the client your working for, will allow you to compete with your former employer. The people you come in contact with everyday, may welcome your move to independence, but are you in touch with the people who truly make the decisions.

I can imagine the nightmare your in for, if after you sever your ties with your current employer, you find he holds a couple cards that your not aware of.

You may want to approach the people who call the shots, before you make the break, if you haven't already. You can bet your current boss is going to go to the top, and he may plea for sympathy to boot...

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
You stated your boss holds grudges? If one of my employees tried to steal my work/ keep food out my my childrens' mouth's, woe to that person.... just sayin'....

·
Registered
967 Posts
You may think your boss has lost touch with his customers, and maybe he did.

But even if it is you taking care and keeping the customers happy, they still may see it as "the company", and may not be so quick to jump ship when you go out on your own.

I, for one, am fiercely loyal to those that provide me quality service. Even if it costs a little more. For example: I do lot of my own equipment repairs, but for some things I still need a mechanic. And there is only one guy I will call. He's done right by me so much that I won't even give another mechanin a chance to make his pitch to me.
Exactly, why do you think that the customers will follow you? They have been being taken care of by the company, not by you.
You have to make sure the customers and your boss aren't taking advantage of you, and will do the same with your replacement.
Make sure you understand the company's relationship with the customer. It all boils down to dollars and track record. Why change if its not broken?
How many hours do you work now? double it!

21 - 29 of 29 Posts