Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been working with a contractor doing industrial maint.for 20 years & worked my way up to field superintendent/ project manager, even bidding all the work in this industrial plant. I do everything but payroll. I have advanced as far as I can with no more compensation than any other superintendent which does far less the duties. Is it ethical or am I crazy to start my own company, doing exactly what I do know,working in the same plant in competition with my boss. I believe I could do well because he relied on me so much that he has lost touch with his customers. I am ready to start at any time but turning in a 2 week notice & informing him that I will now be his competition is a little hard because of the economy....why quit a job in a recession..it is a great job but I'm doing all the work, including the migraines, & he's getting all the profit

thanks for any comments

·
General Contractor
3,444 Posts
All I could say is be VERY sure you can kick right into gear as soon as you leave. You certainly said the truth when you said the economy is a concern right now. Without enough work to go around already, planning to cut the existing small pie in half is something to seriously think about.

·
Banned
306 Posts
Ever see the movie "There Will Be Blood"...

Seriously, Its a free country & You only live once. But size up your Gonads first.

Also, don't think your necessarily going to make more money. Im willing to bet your probably going to take a drop in pay at first. You'll be competeing now, your costumer will be the first to benefit.

·
Registered
1,965 Posts
I've been working with a contractor doing industrial maint.for 20 years & worked my way up to field superintendent/ project manager, even bidding all the work in this industrial plant. I do everything but payroll. I have advanced as far as I can with no more compensation than any other superintendent which does far less the duties. Is it ethical or am I crazy to start my own company, doing exactly what I do know,working in the same plant in competition with my boss. I believe I could do well because he relied on me so much that he has lost touch with his customers. I am ready to start at any time but turning in a 2 week notice & informing him that I will now be his competition is a little hard because of the economy....why quit a job in a recession..it is a great job but I'm doing all the work, including the migraines, & he's getting all the profit

thanks for any comments
Try renegotiating a payraise....How are the benefits with the company your with now? You won't see any of them for awhile once you go out on your own.

·
Super Moderator
11,937 Posts
Doing all the work a business offers and all the behind the scenes work (and expenses) are two different animals.

I would suggest you take a few months and develop a standard business plan. A business plan will force you to think of things you might otherwise overlook.

From there you can make a more informed decision.

·
General Contractor
3,444 Posts
I think we are all trying to tell you that although you may feel you have been carrying the load... you ain't seen the half of what runniing YOUR OWN business entails. The awareness comes quickly, and it is often a real shocker. A year or two from now, you may well be muttering "If I had only known."

·
Registered
498 Posts
I agree with the advice given so far. I don't know how big the plant is. But you need to be ready to go full force and you have the people on board.

Some of the questions that pop into my mind are:

1. Did you sign a non compete agreement with the employer?
2. Is the plant that you are working at sufficient in keeping you busy and will that be willing to take a chance with you now that you have to do payroll, furnish insurance, etc?
3. Are they any other plants that you can get into?
4. Would you boss be vindictive because now you have alot of his trade secrets, insider information, etc?

I am sure if I sit around long enough to think about it I would along with many others on this board, would probably come up with a lot more questions. However, since we do not know you, where you work, what type of work, etc it would be hard. Besides most of us are trying to keep our business afloat.

Not trying to sound pessimistic. In fact, I would offer any help that I can in you getting started. I am sure this thought did not pop into your mind overnight. Think things through, read and learn everything you can, listen to what others are saying, seek advice from others, and if you are a praying man, PRAY.

·
General Contractor
3,444 Posts
Especially the PRAY part.

·
I own stock in FotoMat!
12,701 Posts
Making the jump from employee to self-employment is a HUGE leap. HUGE! It's a totally different ball game. YOU will be responsible for everything. Everything. You will not have a boss, supervisor or foreman doing some of the work for you.

Being an employee in a given field is not the same as being self-employed in the same field.

How many employees really give a rats ass about the company's balance sheet, credit score, bank balance, etc. etc. etc.? They go to work, do the job, and get a paycheck every Friday. If you don't get paid, you call some goverment agency, and they step in and get you paid

When you're self-employed, there's no government agency that will step up to the plate for you. You gotta sue, hire a collection agency and a lwayer, and still there's no guarantee you'll ever see any money.

When you're self-employed, all the bills due fall on your shoulders. Working does not mean making money. Just because you have work to do does not mean you'll automatically get a check at the end of the week. You can easily wrap up your life's savings completing a project, then the customer files for bankrupcy, leaving you holding the bag.

When you're self-employed, you find yourself doing less and less of what you used to do for a living and becoming a manager, office worker, estimator, bill collector, accountant, etc.

When you're self-employed, you need to understand the importance of balance sheets, a working business plan, credit, taxes, and a whole slew of thing you never knew existed as an waged employee.

I'm not trying to throw a wet blanket on your idea, but just keep in mind it's a totally different universe you're asking about.

·
The Duke
14,746 Posts
Is it ethical or am I crazy to start my own company, doing exactly what I do know,working in the same plant in competition with my boss.
Ethics have nothing to do with this. Crazy? That's for you to size up for yourself.

it is a great job but I'm doing all the work, including the migraines, & he's getting all the profit
So you think. If you haven't been in business before, expect a biiiiig surprise.

·
General Contractor
3,444 Posts
There is one BIG plus................. "Being self-employed means being able to choose which sixteen hours of the day you want to work."

·
Registered
1,965 Posts
Order of payment is a lot different with people standing in front of you

IRS
Employees
Bills
You

Just something to think about. I hate it when the wife asks me, when do I get paid. It doesn't happen often now, but when I first started:blink: All it takes is for something happen with the billing/payment part and it can put you in a big bind in a big hurry.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for all of the insight. On one hand I feel like I'm taking advantage of my boss for going on my own & being a competitor & on the other I feel unappreciated while I do all the work & they reap the rewards with no incentive to do better. My salary is not based on productivity. I am aware of business details such as ins. comp, payroll ect.
I've got a great accountant/ secretary which handles the books & payroll. I can take care the rest. There is immediate work to be had especially since the only contact number for years is my personal cell phone. However my boss is extremely vindictive & holds a grudge with everyone who crosses him.
I guess I'm getting cold feet since all that is left to do is make the final decision. I've not a doubt I can make it but how would you feel if one of your employees done the same? Thanks again for you input.

·
Crash Test Dummy
2,210 Posts
You may think your boss has lost touch with his customers, and maybe he did.

But even if it is you taking care and keeping the customers happy, they still may see it as "the company", and may not be so quick to jump ship when you go out on your own.

I, for one, am fiercely loyal to those that provide me quality service. Even if it costs a little more. For example: I do lot of my own equipment repairs, but for some things I still need a mechanic. And there is only one guy I will call. He's done right by me so much that I won't even give another mechanin a chance to make his pitch to me.

·
Capra Aegagrus
Remodeler
24,943 Posts
Ethics have nothing to do with this.
Really? So you think it would all be on the up and up if a client with whom you have a good ongoing relationship suddenly told you that he has no more work for you because the grunt you've been training for the last five years has decided to go into competition with you, using what you've taught him and your clients to make a living? :thumbdown

Not around here, Bubba. It's one thing if I've trained you and you feel that it's time to try your wings on your own. In that case, so be it. But steal my customers by taking advantage of a relationship begun under my sponsorship and tutelage? I think I might just be able to dig up a pound or two of petty vindictiveness for that.

Such things do happen, and though it may be Business, it certainly isn't ethical.

·
General Contractor
3,444 Posts
Thanks for all of the insight. On one hand I feel like I'm taking advantage of my boss for going on my own & being a competitor & on the other I feel unappreciated while I do all the work & they reap the rewards with no incentive to do better. My salary is not based on productivity. I am aware of business details such as ins. comp, payroll ect.
I've got a great accountant/ secretary which handles the books & payroll. I can take care the rest. There is immediate work to be had especially since the only contact number for years is my personal cell phone. However my boss is extremely vindictive & holds a grudge with everyone who crosses him.
I guess I'm getting cold feet since all that is left to do is make the final decision. I've not a doubt I can make it but how would you feel if one of your employees done the same? Thanks again for you input.
Over the decades in "old school" construction, I got comfortable with a good fist fight every now and then. It was just part of the job in those days. But today, a vendetta isn't going to be settled as simply and straightforward. There may be a lot of behind-the-scenes back biting and slander eating away at your reputation. And from the red marked areas above, I think you already know they will be largely justified. You HAVE to know, or you wouldn't be asking the questions yourself.

We strangers can either say "it's business" or "you're really dealing dirty". It honestly doesn't matter.

What matters is how you feel, and how your boss will feel......... AND if you can manage to deal with both. I'll tell you, straight out, that I've done some low things in my life, and believe me, there is a lot more to consider than just how well you slide through the initial altercations. Conscience is internal, and tough to deal with. But reputation is just about all you have externally, and it is equally difficult to survive when damaged.

You'll do what you feel you need to do, and what you want to do. And that's certainly your right. Just try not to jump into anything too rashly. It's easy to make decisions... much more difficult to reverse bad ones.

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
I've been working with a contractor doing industrial maint.for 20 years & worked my way up to field superintendent/ project manager,
Where are you located? I don't see anything in your profile.

guess I'm getting cold feet since all that is left to do is make the final decision. I've not a doubt I can make it but how would you feel if one of your employees done the same?

How would you feel when an employee that you raised from a pup, 20+ years, started his own biz & then works in the same plant in competition with YOU, his former boss???

·
solar guy
1,917 Posts
Im just curious about how you would feel about this scenario
An employee works for a company for a number of years. Builds a "book of business based on his own relationship with clients. Company gets desparate and cuts back employee is laid off. Company after 7 years offers employee 2 weeks severance for a non compete /solicit agreement that employer can sever at will for any reason. ( All of this happens 3 weeks before Christmas). Employee converts one contract as as recission was not up to his/ her own. The conversion takes place after termination.
Is this ethical?

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
What does this mean in plain English?

Employee converts one contract as as recission was not up to his/ her own. The conversion takes place after termination.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts