Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
EVIL GENIUS
2,546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im no chimney guy so I may not have any idea what Im talking about. I was down the basement and there is a 16"x16" concrete chimney for the furnace. Back in the 70s or 80s my uncle put a wood burner on this same chimney as the furnace. The insurance guy said this was a no no and the wood burner had to go. One chimney can only have one furnace or wood burner.

I was thinking with this new double wall stainless snap together chimney pipe why couldn't someone knock out these old concrete chimneys and in its place run 2 of these stainless steel chimneys? I think they are only 6" so you could fit 4 of these in the place of one of the concrete chimneys.

·
Registered
5,425 Posts
Just took a big chimney down last week, customer wanted to gain the floor space in 2 bathrooms about 10sqft in each bathroom. Buderus oil fired burner, we used a direct vent with draft inducer, about 10ft of pipe, out the box beam. The chimney removal was fun, started at the top, dropped them down, opened up a hole in the chimney basement, carried the bricks out from the basement in 5gal buckets. G

·
Construction Connoissuer
2,024 Posts
think they are only 6" so you could fit 4 of these in the place of one of the concrete chimneys.

If your wanting to hook the woodstove back up, you will need at least 6" insulated double wall (stainless) to be safe, which is going to put you at 8-9" outside diamaeter.

It runs around $80 per 3' its pretty expensive. I spent around $1200 putting mine in, but I sleep good at night! :clap:

Do not use B-vent for a woodstove unless you want to burn your house down.

·
EVIL GENIUS
2,546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Might make more sense to upgrade furnace to high efficiency (no chimney for that one)

Just a thought!
I dont know of you can vent fuel oil like that,

If your wanting to hook the woodstove back up, you will need at least 6" insulated double wall (stainless) to be safe, which is going to put you at 8-9" outside diamaeter.

It runs around $80 per 3' its pretty expensive. I spent around $1200 putting mine in, but I sleep good at night! :clap:

Do not use B-vent for a woodstove unless you want to burn your house down.
even at 9" you should be able to get 2 in the same space.There is alot of ranch houses around here and almost all have one concrete chimney in the center of the house. I was thinking this may be a good way to add a chimney without losing living space. since all these are around 1200sqft most people want all the space they can get.

Just took a big chimney down last week, customer wanted to gain the floor space in 2 bathrooms about 10sqft in each bathroom. Buderus oil fired burner, we used a direct vent with draft inducer, about 10ft of pipe, out the box beam. The chimney removal was fun, started at the top, dropped them down, opened up a hole in the chimney basement, carried the bricks out from the basement in 5gal buckets. G
Ive never seen one of these vents before, only problem is when your furnace is in the center of the basement and ducted in.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts