Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking of doing a crawl space encapsulation in my crawl space. I have been doing some research on line. Does anyone know any thing about it or has anyone done it.
thanks..............nicko

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
I had it done by a company called dry basement systems.
They dug in a big sump pump, put down a dimpled sheeting so moisture can move to the sump, and put down a liner that would be
Like a pool liner almost and sealed it to the foundation wall.
Then spray foamed the walls and the joist ends.
It has made a world of difference.

·
Registered
687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
fjn
thanks for the link. I have been doing a lot of research on the subject and have a company coming to look at my craws space on Aug. 5.
I built my house in 97 and have spent a lot of time in the crawl space over the years. I would like to save some money and do it myself but I don't feel like crawling around in the craw space to that extent anymore.

its not a bad crawl space it is well lit with a layer of gravel on the floor and is about 30 to 60 inches in height
thanks............nicko

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
My crawl space had standing water. It had gotten worse after the province blasted in a new hi way near us.
I had a de humidifier and a fan and a heater going 24-7, with a small sump pump.
The sump pump burned out (again), and the de-humidifier gave up the ghost.
I knew that left unchecked it was going to become a serious problem, with mold and rot..
I think it was about $5000 to have it done. About 600 sq ft. Not cheap.
Now we can actually use it for storage.

·
Head Light Bulb Changer
847 Posts
I've done a couple of crawlspace's. Definitely sucky work, but the money is really good. Around here, companies are getting $8-$12/sf for encapsulation. There's a company called Global Plastic Sheeting that sells the supplies (barrier and tapes). The warehouse they ship from is in California and the stuff isn't cheap, but that's where the big waterproofing companies get their supplies from (as told to me by an employee of a big company here).

·
Registered
687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I've done a couple of crawlspace's. Definitely sucky work, but the money is really good. Around here, companies are getting $8-$12/sf for encapsulation. There's a company called Global Plastic Sheeting that sells the supplies (barrier and tapes). The warehouse they ship from is in California and the stuff isn't cheap, but that's where the big waterproofing companies get their supplies from (as told to me by an employee of a big company here).
wow Shelby
$8-$12 a sf is that just to install the liner ?
my crawl space is just under 2000sf and I priced my material out at $2700.00. at $8.00 a sf that is $16000.00 that seems absurd for what will amount to a day and a half of work. all I need is the liner installed I do not need any drain work or sump pump.
I have a company near Pittsburgh coming to give me a price on the 5th so I guess ill find out

I know I can do it myself with some help but I built my house and do all the work on it
just once id like to take a break and hire someone

thanks...........nicko

·
Registered
121 Posts
Do some research. You will find that just putting a sheet of plastic down isn't exactly encapsulating. ...

To do it properly, and probably what the $$8-$12 price is for, is sealing it up completely and with better materials than just plastic. It requires a heavy duty liner on the ground and actually insulating the side walls of the crawlspace.

·
Head Light Bulb Changer
847 Posts
Yeah, it's a little more involved than just hanging plastic. You have to completely cover everything up to the sill plate. The liner is thick (20 mil?) and heavy. The foundation walls are sealed (I used Drylox) and the liner is sealed to the sill with thick double-sided tape and roofing nails. All seams have to be taped/sealed.

The first one I did was for my parents, so it was the perfect guinea pig. They got a quote of $15K for 1600 sf of crawlspace, which I thought was F-n outrageous, but another contractor buddy of mine said 'Nope, sounds about right' :eek:. It took me and my helper 4 1/2 days to do it. IIRC the materials ran me about $1.40/ft.

BTW - Those are good images of it installed.

·
Registered
687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I have been researching this for a few weeks now and know what encapsulation is.
the material I priced is 20 mill on the floor with a padded felt underlayment because I have gravel in my crawl space .
12 mill on the walls and all the seem tape, double stick tape polyurethane caulking and fasteners.
no way is it worth $15000.00 above the material cost of $2700.00 for two or three days labor.
but we will see when I get my price
thanks........nicko

·
Head Light Bulb Changer
847 Posts
no way is it worth $15000.00 above the material cost of $2700.00 for two or three days labor.
I couldn't agree more, but that's what some companies are charging. I about chit myself when I got the first quote. But with 'Easy Financing! NO Money Down! LOW, LOW Payments! Buy NOW Before It's Too Late! Your Health Is At Risk!' all they see is $150/mo (for 10 years!).

I will add, it will take longer than you think. I figured 2 days on the first, and it took nearly 5 (80+ man hours). On the one's I've done, I sealed all the masonry with Drylox (2 coats), closed/blocked all the foundation vents, and built a new, tight sealing, crawlspace door.

·
Registered
687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
shelby
yep, im sure you are right about it taking longer than I think. most things do.
nicko

·
Registered
687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well. I got a price of $9500.00 for 1750 sq. ft. Of 20 mill floor liner with dimpled drainage mat under it. Cover the walls with 12 mill and wrap 20 piers. I thought it would be more. Going to get another price this week.

Nicko

1 - 18 of 18 Posts