Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Civil / Structural PE
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is a great picture sent to me from a building official friend.

car thru gar wall.jpg

My friend thinks this might trigger a code change for crash-proof garage walls :)

What surprises me is that the car took out the bearing wall and any interior posts that might have been in the garage. Note there is a 2nd floor load coming down on this wall too.

So what's left is maybe a double top plate acting as a header spanning probably 16'. And yet there's no sag in the roof!

This is why green framing is important. Wood structures built to code have a factor of safety of about 2.5, i.e. is 2.5 times stronger than necessary to avoid failure. We don't need to exceed code. Lean and green, if it meets code, is plenty strong.

·
Registered
68 Posts
How would you crash proof a wall, given your druthers?
I'm thinking some weishure posts installed before the slab is pored, then sheathed in 3/4" ply. But, if your hitting any wood framed wall at 20 mph...

EDIT they drove through the main floor, so no slab?

·
Super Moderator
10,595 Posts

View attachment 32607

My friend thinks this might trigger a code change for crash-proof garage walls :)

What surprises me is that the car took out the bearing wall and any interior posts that might have been in the garage. Note there is a 2nd floor load coming down on this wall too.

So what's left is maybe a double top plate acting as a header spanning probably 16'. And yet there's no sag in the roof!

This is why green framing is important. Wood structures built to code have a factor of safety of about 2.5, i.e. is 2.5 times stronger than necessary to avoid failure. We don't need to exceed code. Lean and green, if it meets code, is plenty strong.
I bet the fascia is doing as much to prevent sag as the two top plates are. Not to mention there is plywood nailed to each rafter and even the gutter is probably adding a little strength to the whole deal. Hard to tell from that pic if there is any sag, but complete failure would be unlikely unless something else was done incorrectly.

·
Registered
3,379 Posts
Apparently, the deck is also not designed for the loads and situation because of the deflection obvious at the outer edge.

Codes are only prescriptive methods to build to the expected loads and still be legal. This is because the codes are geared for contractors, DIYers, municipalities, and other to give "cookie-cutter" solution to every situation, which is not practical. Few homes are designed by professionals with a crystal ball. A safety factor is 2.5 is very low when there is little control over the actual construction and materials.

The solution is to either teach the wife how to safely land her unguided missile (car), build to resist anything that can happen or have good insurance.

·
Jeff
1,485 Posts
The photo looks computer generated to me. Where are the studs in that wall? Something smells fishy?
Steve

I agree i see siding, looks like maybe some foil faced foam board and sheathing. The car doesnt look to be near as dinged up as id expect it to be going through a wall and then crashing nose first 8 feet. Hell i look cross eyed at my truck with a 2x4 in my hand and it dents and scratches.

·
Curmudgeon
11,706 Posts
The photo looks computer generated to me. Where are the studs in that wall? Something smells fishy?
Steve
If it is, the guy's a photoshop genius
with the details.
Have you ever worked a "drive thru"?
It can amaze you.

·
Superior Firepower
5,089 Posts

View attachment 32607

Crash proof? Concrete Kay Rail with post tension steel cables?
I see a change coming in the UBC.
I guess I'd better start updating my estimates.

PS, I too crashed into my Dad's garage wall on my first driving attempt.
:laughing:​

·
Curmudgeon
11,706 Posts
Crash proof? Concrete Kay Rail with post tension steel cables?
I see a change coming in the UBC.
I guess I'd better start updating my estimates.

PS, I too crashed into my Dad's garage wall on my first driving attempt.
:laughing:​
I have developed a theory,
that the human male brain
is not full in communication with
any of the extremities until about
the age of 22.....:whistling

Reactions: skyhook

·
Registered
2,940 Posts
I'm calling BS too. It appears to be a late model Jeep. No air bags deployed.

I see cabs in the garage, but I don't see any evidence of framing.

·
The Duke
14,746 Posts

·
I own stock in FotoMat!
12,610 Posts
1 - 20 of 36 Posts